1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy duty tires in 225/65R17?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bobm, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Aug 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    bobm

bobm [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    Vehicle:
    2017 cherokee
    New to the forum.
    In December I purchased a new Cherokee for my bride, we live on gravel roads and the 4 ply tires do not hold up. I can usually get about 10,000 miles before the tires are rock drilled and ruined. her previous Jeep was 2012 wrangler unlimited It was not a problem getting 10ply tires for the wrangler.
    My problem is I cannot find 10ply in the 225/65R17 that came with her new Cherokee. I can't seem to get anyone from the dealer or fiat/Chrysler to tell me what other size tires will fit this Cherokee without rubbing etc. I would like to stay as close to the original size as possible.

I regret trading off her wrangler but she is 67yo and has arthritis and it was painful for me watching her climb in and out of the wrangler. she is still pissed I traded for the Cherokee.

any suggestions?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. Aug 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum bobm. I'm not a tire expert by any stretch. There are a couple other members here that are much more knowledgeable. Hang tight. I'm sure some one will jump in soon.

Bob likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site! Look for a "D" or "E" rated tire in your size. Perhaps an "LT", which I believe stands for "Light Truck"

Bob and JKBob 25 like this.
  4. Aug 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    See....told ya. Some one jumped in. Although not our most knowledgeable member. But he is a member. Lolll. :)
    I thought LT stood for Lawrence Taylor?? Oh sorry.....wrong forum.

chris4x4 likes this.
  5. Aug 22, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Go get her another Wrangler.

BFG makes an AT in this size that is a Load Range D. This is what we all used to run on the 80s and 90s 3/4 and 1ton trucks.

See discount tire.

https://www.discounttire.com/fitmen...1&text=&diameter=17&width=225&aspectRatio=65#

Bob, JeepMafiaMama and aggrex like this.
  6. Aug 22, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Get her another Wrangler. Lol. My first question was going to be. Are you 2 sleeping in the same bed after that move. Be it in her best interest. Never ever take a jeep away from some one. Especially a woman. What's the saying. A woman scorned.......Sorry Bob. You made your bed. Lolll.

OFFGRID. Probably our best tire and wheel guy. Listen to why he has to say. But, I wouldn't stand to close. He'said a cheese lover. Never mentioned if he was lactose intolerant. But I wouldn't take the chance. Lolll. Just a thought. o_O.

OFFGRID likes this.
To Top