1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hedman Elites and TDK frame fitment question.

Discussion in 'CJ' started by JohnnyRotten, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jun 27, 2017 at 5:01 AM
    JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten [OP] Member

Member:
    Has anyone used a set of Hedman Elite headers in a TDK frame? It is a CJ5 frame from TDK. Discovered my headers have pin holes in them at the collector. In between the pipes, so welding is probably not worth the effort. Have a TDK frame and will be installing my 360 back in. I know the fit was tight with the stock frame and Hedmans regular CJ headers. I believe the TDK frame is a little narrower due to the thickness of the frame walls. I am under this impression because the bar that goes from rail to rail under the motor for a 6 will not fit between the rails anymore. This bar was present in the stock frame, but will not fit now. No posts about factory manifolds please. I have a fairly new dual out the back exhaust and am not looking to spring for another one. Thanks.

2. Jun 27, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    My TDK frame for my CJ7 was right on.

3. Jun 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome!

4. Jun 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten [OP] Member

Member:
    Offgrid, are you running Hedman Elites? If so how did they fit? I like the frame, its definitely sturdy enough. There were some issues though. The skid plate mount from them did need to have some of the holes elongated to fit. I am pretty sure the distance between the factory rails and the TDK rails is a little off. I had the frame brace for the 6 cylinder on my old frame and it will not fit between the rails on the TDK frame. Its not much maybe an 1/8th inch? I just know my normal old Hedmans were a tight fit and the Elites are a heavier material with thicker flanges. Curious if the flange pushes the pipes out a little.

5. Jun 28, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    My header fits with plenty of room but I have the 258. You did say that you were installing a 360, and I think for you everything is going to be tight. I will say that everything bolted up perfectly. I used my old belly pan with no problems. I don't know if this will help you but when I install my belly pan I attach to th Tcase/tranny first and loosely. Then loosely insert the frame bolts sometimes having to push the tranny left or right. Once all bolts are in I tighten everything up. Good luck.

6. Jun 28, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten [OP] Member

Member:
    I used to do that with my old frame and skid plate. With the TDK frame sitting upside down, installing the TDK skid plate, I could get 4 bolts in and the other 2 had to be elongated to fit. You would think since they make both, the bolt holes would at least line up.

OFFGRID likes this.
  7. Jun 29, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I agree. The owners name is Jeremy. His email address is jeremy@throttledownkustoms.com
    His shop number is 406-374-2285

I would give him a call, and let him know. At least email him so they can double check their Jigs and/or give corrective instruction to the person who welded it up.

I myself have been thoroughly impressed with their frame and was surprised to here that Tony Pelligrino, the owner of Genright, uses TDK frames in his custom builds.

8. Jun 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten [OP] Member

Member:
    Well I bought this frame 3 years ago, might have even been 4. Just now getting around to doing the swap. Doing a lot of work to it to get it running again. Cougar fan swap, Junkyard TBI, headlight relay. Put a True Trac in the rear. Its slow going because every time I do something, in the middle of it, I see a better way to make it work or a way I like better than my original plan.

OFFGRID likes this.
  9. Jun 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    If you haven't already purchased the TBI I would look into FiTech Efi kits. Their new set up is pretty amazing. The computer is built into the TB eliminating a ton of wiring. There is still some to the sensors and 12+ power. They are who I will use next over Howell TBI.

10. Jul 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten [OP] Member

Member:
    I already have the TBI. Harness is made, pieces bought, burner bought, just a matter of time.

OFFGRID likes this.
To Top