1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High idle

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Newbiejeepowner43, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Sep 21, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Newbiejeepowner43

Newbiejeepowner43 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    85 cj7
    Good morning all, I recently bought an 85 cj7. It seems to be idling too high once it gets warmed up. I wanted like to to reach out to get your thoughts on where to start. This is a project I'd like to do myself without taking it to the shop. I've already spent a lot of money on the engine. Thanks for your help

2. Sep 21, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    A lot of times high idle is a result of a vacuum leak. You might also look at the carb and make sure everything moves freely and is not binding up.

Rc Jeep likes this.
  3. Dec 8, 2017 at 5:23 AM
    5oakseric

5oakseric Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    1982 CJ7 258
    What carburetor is on it? Stock or Weber? How about emission control systems? I only ask these questions because I'm dealing with kind of the same thing and these are things I had to consider. Previous owner butchered the 82 I just bought by making it a "makeshift" manual choke and ripping out all the emission equipment including the computer. Sorry not much help.

4. Dec 8, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    A high idle is usually a southern fix to prevent it from stalling when coming to a stop or when slowing down in the turns when the carb needs rebuilt or, If you have the original Carter carb, you will never get it right without all of the smog equipment. If you have no ecm, IMO that is a good thing. You are already halfway to getting it running right. If it isn't done yet, junk the coil, distributor, and ignition control module, Install a HEI distributor, and get either a MC2100/2150 carb or a Weber 32/36. I understand that the Weber is harder to tune. I run Howell Fuel injection. Then you will have a Jeep that runs better than new.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. Dec 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    5oakseric

5oakseric Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    1982 CJ7 258
    I just got the Weber K551 32/36. Can't wait to install it. I'll keep progress posted.

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top