1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I am new to the forem and am desperate for some advice on my 98 TJ wrangler. It is a 4 cyl stan....

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by wacherone, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Jul 21, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    wacherone

wacherone [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    98 wrangler, standard 4 cyl, TJ.
    I went to start my 98 wrangler TJ, 4 cyl. standard. It seems as though the starter made it into a "half way" position and got stuck. I unbolted the starter, greased the gear area and re-attached it and it started right up. A couple starts later, it did it again. I went out and purchased a new starter/sel and once again, it started right up. A couple starts later...same thing. Since then, I have replaced the starter relay, checked the fuses and the wiring all seems secure. The battery is less than a year old but I did a charge on it anyways and it still will not even click. I sure could use some advice...I purchased a new neutral safety switch but can't seem to even locate it at all the locations described on line....

2. Jul 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @wacherone ..at a local auto parts store like Advance get the battery tested, inspect all connections for corrosion and make sure ALL the grounds are good. Same auto parts store could have tested either the old or new starter. Can you start with a jump?

3. Jul 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    wacherone

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    I apologize if I don't respond to quickly, I do not carry a mobile device, I use a laptop so PLEASE keep that in mind. Thank you in advance to everybody and stay safe folks.

4. Jul 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    wacherone

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    aggrex, thank you. I will attempt a jump off tomorrow. All other you mentioned have been checked & tested. The starter was an original so I figured it was over due anyways. I am getting mixed opinions from the internet as to weather or not there is a neutral safety switch in this style jeep, would you happen to know this?

5. Jul 22, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
To Top