1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition fuse keeps blowing

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by MyYJ, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Nov 21, 2021 at 11:37 PM
    MyYJ

MyYJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michele
    Vehicle:
    91 YJ WRANGLER 2.5
    Lifted, 35's, replaced tranny, needed lots of TLC when I got it. Love love my jeep
    Tires rubbed a hole in brake line, so had to have it replaced after I noticed my dash lights & gages weren't working. Haven't had a chance to check it out.

Suddenly my fuses for rear driving lights & brake lights blew. I replaced it twice. This afternoon I couldn't get it to turn over, no fire. Ignition fuse was blown, replaced it and it blew again when i tried to turn it over. Under the hood no obvious bare wire. Going to look under dash tomorrow. Hope it's a simple fix. Anyone else have this issue that it was something other than bare wire grounding out?

2. May 14, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    oldbobJeep2

oldbobJeep2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegate 4.0 5 speed
    none
    My Jeep is a 1994 YJ Wrangler Renegade, 4.0, 5 speed, hardtop, adjustable steering column, et cet., less than 50k actual miles. I am trying to solve a similar wiring problem. I noticed on my last trip that I had lost my instruments and gauges; the 15 amp fuse in #9 position blew. I replaced it, everything worked until I hit a really hard bump; lost them again. Replace fuse. Happened twice more. Now the fuse blows when I turn on the ignition. I removed the instruments and gauges, checked all the connections, look for wiring short: very unlikely, as the wiring is bundled and well protected. Connections clean. No sign of damage to the fuse box. Because that fuse serves two circuits, (1) the instruments/gauges and (2) the ignition, I believe the problem must be in the ignition switch. Before I go through the work of removing it, has anyone experienced/solved this problem?

3. May 19, 2022 at 3:36 AM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    Which fuse number is blowing?
    YJ manuals, fuse block and wiring diagrams are posted at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3yo9rjta5uak1rh/AADsomVm07hKLAYW05YfPJBCa?dl=0
    May be some help with wire colors and the components they connect to.
    If the fuse is out, no need to inspect any wire with +12 volts on it. With the fuse out, meter both sides of the fuse clips in the fuse box. One side should have +12 volt from the battery. With key off, meter the 0 volt side for continuity to chassis ground.
    Short to ground with key off would indicate power wire to ignition switch or a bad ignition switch. Also check for short to ground with the key in the on and start positions. You may be able to eliminate some components depending on key position when it shorts to ground. If you only show a short to ground with the key held in the start position, check power wires for continuity to ground at your starter relay.
    @oldbobJeep2, intermittent ground faults are the worst. You probably got lucky that the ground fault is staying so you can troubleshoot with a meter.
    Best of luck.

aggrex likes this.
To Top