1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Increasing MPG

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by 385pike, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jul 4, 2017 at 4:57 AM
    385pike

385pike [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sahara Wrangler Firecracker red
    2.5" lift 35" tire Rhino rims
    Looking to increase MPG on my wife's 2015 Sahara Wrangler. Has a road trip planned in a few weeks. I heard adding a cold air intake will add mpg plus power. Any suggestions?

2. Jul 4, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    IMO the JK CAI alone will have little-to-no bump in mpg. Depending on the design some CAI might be less hot intakes. A DIY re-routing of the oem intake outside the hot engine compartment if possible is key...think of the old 70's muscle cars. The spendy Magnaflow muffer I installed mainly for looks and rumble sound has bumped my DD mpg up a solid 1 mpg but ymmv if you can keep your foot off the addictive rumbling. No increase in hwy noise over stock. Keep the speed around 60-70mph or rpms in the green zone on the tach for best mpg.

Screencaishot.jpg

OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    I ran a "cold air" intake for a while, and noticed my intake air temps ran HOTTER than with the OEM intake. I sold it, and went back to the OEM system. Best way to get better MPG is driving style. The Wrangler is a brick, so its air resistance is going to be the largest factor on getting good MPG on a road trip. Keep in mind, air resistance increases with the square of velocity. Stay the speed limit for best MPG. FWIW, I seem to get the best MPG around 65 mph.

JKBob 25, aggrex and OFFGRID like this.
  4. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    So true what Chris says. I run 20 miles at highway speeds, 65mph, one way every day. And yes I'm the guy everyone passes. Lol. But, I'm still getting 20mpg even after an upgrade from 16 inch wheels to 17s with 33 inch tires. Which I'm still trying to figure out how, besides my conservative driving.

Bottom line. As a member here got me to see. Car manufacturers are under pressure to get their vehicles to get 25mpg or better. If there was a product out there that could help achieve that. They'd be using it. Stock is always best set up to run.

OFFGRID likes this.
To Top