1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing a remanufactured engine in my Wrangler need advice

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by CoTJ, Mar 15, 2017.

1. May 6, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Sweet dude. Sweet. Only swap I ever did was way back when. Dropped a 324 into a 283 Chevy hole. Can't imagine what your swap was like. Awesome it worked out Dude. Best from here on out.

2. May 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    o4petesake wanna buy the block? 285K when I had the head off the cylinders were in good shape just a little edge. I am doing the swap for two reasons mainly. I broke a valve spring which I should have replaced with the head I know. It happened last winter and it sat while I pondered it's fate. I thought about replacing the springs. But then what? I have two sons 7-5 who all winter talked about missing the jeep and the "bumpy roads." I thought about a rebuild, but living in rural Co there are very few machine shops around. I thought about the time investment in a rebuild. I thought about the long term dependability. I want my kids to drive it one day. So I had the money. My ex-wife decided she didnt want to be married anymore. Up to that point I was working two FT jobs so she didn't have to work. Spending money on nice furniture, her car, kids clothes, kids toys, her trips to see family and my sanity. I decided it was my turn. I had never driven a jeep up till I got this one. I'll never go back now. I bought a cheapo Pathfinder just to hold me over while the jeep is down. I HATE it. I hat driving it, I HATE the way it handles. I mean really who had ever said a Pathfinder is fun to drive? Call it a mid-life crisis, call it an F U, call it insane. It is probably all those things. But most of all as crazy as it may seem. Its something I am doing for me for a change.

3. May 9, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    **Update**

Engine is on the mounts. Manifolds are inatalled. Tore down the throttle body and cleaned inside and out. Hoping the new Crank pulley and timing chain cover comes in the next few days. Hoping to do first start up this weekend.

4. May 9, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    **Update**

Engine is on the mounts. Manifolds are inatalled. Tore down the throttle body and cleaned inside and out. Hoping the new Crank pulley and timing chain cover comes in the next few days. Hoping to do first start up this weekend.

5. May 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    Well I filled it with oil, filled the oil filter half way, left it about 1/8 of an inch from sealing to the block. Left off the wires and cranked once I had some oil at the oil filter, I sealed it up. Pressure shot up, attached wires held my breath and turned the key. She started right up, ran smoothly. A little loud, have to tighten the exhaust down tube. Had a little water leakage, but it has to be a hose, I was really careful about the gasket sealer on the water pump. I ran out of time today, I plan to get under it again tomorrow.

To Top