1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is It A Blown Head Gasket?

Discussion in 'Liberty' started by Kimberlynicole5953, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Apr 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    Kimberlynicole5953

Kimberlynicole5953 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimberly
    Vehicle:
    2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
    3 inch lift
    Hey guys! I appreciate any one taking the time to read my post and any input will help me greatly! I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade with around 85K miles on it. I say around because my speedometer and odometer quit working at 72,352. It was throwing a code for the rear wheel speed sensor so I replaced it and they started working long enough for the check engine light to go off and me to get it inspected last year then it quit again. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that, that would be awesome but that is the least of my worries right now!

On to more serious matters, I had a leak in my radiator that I noticed Christmas Eve night, I didn't have the money for a new radiator at the time so I put some stop leak in it and it fixed my problem. Although I had such a big leak it only ran a little above operating temp and never really over heated. I didn't think much about it since it hasn't leaked or over heated any more since then. Then about a month ago, I noticed steam and pulled over, only to find the clamp had broke off the hose connected to the "radiator cap" on the reservoir (since I don't have direct access to the radiator). I put on a new clamp and again my problem was fixed. Well Friday things went downhill fast, I only know the side of the story that I am being told from the person who was driving my car at the time so I might not have all the information or may have misunderstood part of the story but anyways what happened is as follows; he was sitting in a parking lot letting it idle with the air condition on and it started over heating, by over heating I don't know what the gauge was reading, and steaming so bad that someone thought it was on fire and called the fire department. He turned off the ignition and popped the hood to find that it was not on fire just steaming excessively. He let it cool and then tried to start it and it would not crank at all. I went back later that night with a car dolly to pick it up (about 2-3 hours later) and tried a few times to crank it, it finally started up but it didn't want to idle right, it kept wanting to die but I was able to drive it 20 feet or so to get it lined up with the dolly, I got my tires up to the little hump on the dolly and the Jeep didn't have enough power to drive over them so I could put the tire straps on. I had my foot all the way to the floor and it would't do anything! I looked in the mirror and saw white smoke coming out of my exhaust like crazy so real quick my friend pushed the Jeep enough to where it was secure on the dolly and I took it home. I noticed it had leaked some antifreeze in the parking lot but I checked the the reservoir and it was full. I checked my oil, it was a little low.

Yesterday, Monday I got it to start and I revved it up trying to make sure it would stay running, it acted like it wanted to die, so I let it idle and it idled pretty much normal for about twenty minutes and I heard the fan kick on. I checked my gauges and everything seemed normal so I took it for a drive, I made it about 150 feet and it lost power. Almost like it isn't firing on all cylinders. I drove it another 100-150 yards and turned around, it started over heating so I cut it off long enough to cool then cranked it again and parked it. It hasn't smoked any more, it isn't leaking fluid. I haven't messed with it any more because I'm afraid of messing it up even more but I don't know where to being or what to try.

I don't have the money to take it to a shop and have someone determine the problem so any ideas on what to try will be appreciated.

2. Apr 18, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site. In my mind, it sounds like a head issue. Either the gasket, or it's warped.

OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  3. Apr 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Yep future reference. if you ever use stop leak you have to then flush this system and replace the thermostat. The stop leak like will crud up the Thermostat so that it will not open enough and you'll overheat easily.

4. Apr 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    K6puppy

K6puppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Arizonia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited wellys wheeler Black
    xrc front bumper 12000 pound badlands winch 6 pod lights fender flares kc headlight 285/70/17 tires 2 inch leveling kit bushwhacker air snorkel k/N intake rough country duuel steering stabilizer kit
    It does sound like head gasket Is it hard to start you may have other problems if I got really hot contact me I will help you

To Top