1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is my tranny compatible with a straight 6 engine?

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by DWolverine11101, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    DWolverine11101

DWolverine11101 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ish
    Vehicle:
    YJ 1988
    Base
    See Ive got a 4 cyl, manual. Ive enjoyed it for almost 10 years. Ive got a rebuilt straight 6 now in it which I'm suuuuuuper happy. My question, is my manual tranny compatible with it?

Also If the answer is NO, ;-( then, can I get a 6 cyl tranny and add my 4 cyl transfercase to it? Im confused and I cannot aford to drop all of it to have to put all back in... Help!!!!!

2. Jan 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    I can tell you that using an AX-5 with a larger engine will be a mistake (and likely not possible). The AX5, which I assume you have, is known for being weak...real weak. Everyone I know of recommends going to the ax15. Because of this, few (if any) companies build a bell housing adapter for the ax5 to any other engine. So I would say the answer is "NO".

On the x-fer case, even if you go to the AX15 tranny, I believe there is a transfer case issue due to a differing spline count between the ax5 and the ax15 output to your t-case.

I think you may be able to get better answers than mine by contacting Advanced Adapters ( http://www.advanceadapters.com/ ) or Novak Conversions. ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/ )

Just my best 2 cents for what little it may be worth.
    ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Bob likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2017 at 2:19 AM
    JeepAndrew

JeepAndrew Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '93YJ/'97XJ
    @C2T is right, even if you could adapt your AX5 to a 4.0 it more than likely wouldn't handle the extra power. And the transfer case normally found behind that trans is a 21 spline input. You would need an AX15 and an NP/NV-231 with a 23 spline input to mate up to it.

C2T likes this.
To Top