1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unresolved electrical problems in son's Jeep Liberty

Discussion in 'Liberty' started by jeepmom, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Nov 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    jeepmom

jeepmom [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Liberty Limited
    I'm in need of tips or ideas of other things for my mechanic and the dealer to look for on my sons 2004, 3.7 limited jeep liberty. I apologize in advance, as there is no short version to what happened! I'll start with what happened after it went all levels of crazy and what was found.
    After replacing the BCM, fuse box and ignition switch our blue bomber still tried to short out the diagnostic scanner. It was towed to a dealer and almost blew their scanner and they went thru the wiring by hand. What they found was the wiring harness that runs along the drivers side in the headliner, had had a mouse in it, who had loads of fun chewing on the wiring and left it an exposed, melted wiring mess. We have replaced the BCM, fuse box, ignition switch, speed sensors, rear differential sensor
    and said wiring harness. We now have a jeep with the below not working...which it all was prior to breaking down. We have tried to clear the codes from the check engine light and as soon as it's turned off, it immediately comes back on...
    No speedometer
    No odometer
    No sunroof
    No rear wiper working
    No rear lift window working
    No working key fobs(batteries have been replaced)
    No working console above rear view mirror

2. Nov 1, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! Wow! That's quite the list. Hopefully someone might have something for you to try.

jeepmom[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    jeepmom

jeepmom [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! It is quite the list and thank goodness for comprehensive insurance! My IT working brain keeps saying somethings not reading the BCM completely or something missed when it was programmed! It's sad, because it has minimal rust being in NNY and only has 74,908 miles on it! Needless to say I will never feel sorry for a mouse our cat catches. They are no longer cute after this damage.

chris4x4 likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Well, I guess I would start by re-checking the fuses if you have not. What you describe should have blown a bunch of them. Next, I would be making sure the individual items are not blown/damaged by the shorting that occurred. Like making sure the rear windshield wiper or the one windows motor is still good (for example). I would just be trying to narrow some things down.

Sounds like a tough nut to crack...good luck with it.

5. Nov 1, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    jeepmom

jeepmom [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It has become a pain to crack! We no sooner get one thing fixed and running, we find something else...ugh! The dealer called it a gem and well my regular mechanic has a few choice words for it...haha. They both said they were surprised it didn't catch on fire. After seeing the harness with charred wires and an 8" section of it so melted it's rock hard, electrical tape melted into the padding.

6. Nov 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Sounds like a big mess. I do believe that you can reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 72hrs. I believe this will also reset your check engine light. Then do what Richard said. Test each individual component. Not sure about the new jeeps, but the old jeeps electrical components can fry with power surges which sure sounds like what happened. Anything that has a switch going to it i.e. window, wiper, etc you'll want to make sure the switch is good. Good luck.

C2T and Bob like this.
To Top