1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep tj dana 44 thoughts

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by Patrick 4x4, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Nov 18, 2016 at 5:52 AM
    Patrick 4x4

Patrick 4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2000 jeep tj 2.5
    So I'm looking into axles for my Jeep tj, I currently have a dana 35LP and a dana 30. Limits of the dana 44?

2. Nov 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I am having the same delema building my CJ6. Although not a viable option for you. I am going to run the AMC 20 in the back because once trussed it is stronger than a trussed Dana 44, and I recently purchased a 72 Cherokee Flat top Dana 44 for the front. All the hard core wheelers I know say don't waste your time and money building a 44. They say build 60s. I guess I have to pee on that electric fence myself to learn this lesson. I believe I can build a Dana 44 to be plenty strong and be significantly lighter than Dana 60s RCV has a lifetime warrantee for their Dana 44 axles up to 40 inch tires. The weak link will then be the hubs. Most hubs are cast and under intense pressure explode as I recently found out. I hear Mile marker has a new stainless hub for the 44 that has a lifetime warrantee, and is supposed to be the strongest on the market. We'll see.

I have 2 thoughts on this.

1. For the TJ, If you are going to buy used and build them yourself you can probably go with Dana 44s reliably up to 37s fairly cheap. You may even find a used set already built and ready to bolt in.

2. If you are purchasing new from lets say teraflex or east coast gear supply etc. It is probably worth the little bit of extra money to bump up to Dana 60s.

I would like to hear from others on this please. I recently ran across a Chevy Kingpin Dana 60 and GM 14 bolt that they are asking $2200, and I'm trying to justify the cost. I don't think I can seeing as they will have to be rebuilt to my specs.

3. Nov 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    Patrick 4x4

Patrick 4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2000 jeep tj 2.5
    I just picked up a dana 30 HP out of a Cherokee for dirt cheap, he also through in a ballistic fabrication truss for the axle, and I have planed to pick up a Ford 8.8 out of a 1999 or 2000 Ford town car. I will be ordering an artec industries swap kit truss for it. But what are my options for a upper link for the front axle? I am currently running 37s on a 4inch rough country long arm upgrade kit. So I need something that will work with the radius arm. Will I be able to run just 1 upper control arm in the front safely?

4. Nov 27, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    JeepAndrew

JeepAndrew Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '93YJ/'97XJ
    Not if it's a stock control arm, and probably not if you're going to be bolting it in to the factory location on the frame. You'd have to upgrade to a 2 linked long-arm kit with the "Y" control arm setup.

OFFGRID likes this.
To Top