1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep will not fully start

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by angel777, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:19 AM
    angel777

angel777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep Cherokee
    None
    Hi my name is Angela. I own a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 2 wd, 4.0. I just recently had a alternator problem. My mechanic only was suppose to tighten my belt. But he end up rehooking up a wire to my fuse panel. Immediately my jeep after he started it produced an electrical fire. One of my fuses blew, in which I replaced. But now there is no electricity going to my fuel pump. I thought maybe i needed a newfuel pump. So i purchase one. He put the fuel pump on today. But still same problem. Any suggestions?

2. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

jeepinghillbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    No way to help you with this because we have no idea what that wire went to. But it definitely caused a short or cross circuit of some kind. Did he unhook the wire or leave it? Have you traced the wire to see where it went? Is that part fixed already and the issue just your fuel pump? Are you looking for a new mechanic? I hope so? Also I preach this all the time, get a wiring schematic and trace all wires related to your fuel pump and make sure none of the wires were damaged from the fire and that they connect where they should. A wiring schematic and multi meter will save you lots of money and headache. Keep us posted

3. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    I just realized the engine I used in my 79 cj 4.0 swap was from a 94 XJ. I have all the wiring schematics for it. Let me know the color of the wire in question and if it has a tracer and I will look it up for you.

4. Feb 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    angel777

angel777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep Cherokee
    None
    Yes. He unhook the wire. The wire was going to my fuse panel. The fuse he had the wire hooked up to blew. I replaced it. But now it cranks only but won't fully start and the fuel pump is not coming on at all. I live in Southern Maryland. St. Mary's County. Do you or anyone know of a mechanic in this area that are familiar with Jeeps?

5. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    jeepinghillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    I would be more than happy to look at it for you, but your in south/eastern Md. Im in the eastern panhandle of WV and only 15 minutes from Hancock Md. So St Mary Co is a little to far a drive. I have a friend in Bon Air who is a mod on this forum... https://www.marylandjeepclub.org/ He says its basically dead now and all of us core guys are gone, but you may find someone in your area there if ya post up. Its a gamble since the club is basically dead but you may get lucky. Hope this helps.

I could walk you thru checking the few wires for the fuel pump on here if you wanna try it?

6. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    angel777

angel777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep Cherokee
    None
    Thanks alot. I am going to try the website and hope for the best. I am appreciative.!!!

jeepinghillbilly likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    jeepinghillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    No problem. Your welcome to tow it up here and me look at it. My wife likes me having lots of projects, keep me out her hair. lol Cowboy is the mod on there, tell him Hillbilly sent ya.

8. Feb 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    angel777

angel777 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angela
    Vehicle:
    1993 Jeep Cherokee
    None
    No thanks. I am hoping to find someone closer to work with. I truly appreciate the offer.

Angela

To Top