1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Spring Lift XJ

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by XJ1998g, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Feb 24, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    XJ1998g

XJ1998g [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am New to lifts and this forum. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ

I had a 2 inch lift done. Now i sit 19 1/2 front and 18 1/2 in rear. Found out that they say stock height is 17 1/2 front and 17 in rear.

The lift was a bb with hats in front and shackles in back. The ride i have is good no vibes etc.

I feel i could use some new leaf springs in the rear because i do tow a trailer once in awhile.

Question is if I get New Heavy Duty leafs would it lift me a little ( say 1/2 to 1 inch?) compared to standard leaf springs?
    I know it is not much but i do want new leafs and if it picked it up it would be a bonus.

Now my other question is do shackles lower the life of a leaf spring?

Or should i get a .75 shackle lift found at rustys and a 2" lift leaf spring instead? might that mess up my angle and cause vibe?

2. Feb 24, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    My opinion is that for a Cherokee 4in isn't too much. Might get a tiny vibe only on acceleration. Do you have a slip yoke output np231? If so get a SYE kit. That will eliminate a lot of vibe, give you a stronger drive train and lengthen your drive shaft.

Back to your original question. I believe heavy springs, if OEM, won't lift you much if at all, but your springs are 20 years old and probably have some sag so even adding just new OEM springs will probably give you 1/2 in lift. They also make 2 in lift HD springs. I like Old Man Emu (OME) springs because they have the softest ride.

3. Mar 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM
    Threerun

Threerun Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
    OME 2-3"
    I second the OME Dakar springs. Pretty nice riding. I can't stand the OME shocks on my Cherokee though- Harsh as hell. I'm swapping them out with Bilsteins this spring.

OFFGRID[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Agreed on the OME Shocks. I usually talk down on Pro-Comp stuff, but I do like their Pro-comp 3000 shocks on lighter vehicles like jeeps.

Oh and no shackles won't effect the life of the springs.

Products Discussed in

To Top