1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking Coolant

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by ENIGMA-MACHINE, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:41 AM
    ENIGMA-MACHINE

ENIGMA-MACHINE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Wrangler
    NONE
    Hi Gang

I have a 2004 Wrangler 6 Cyl. I'm 72 years old (live in Tucson) NO 'Off Roading' Everything is stock. I had an aftermarket radiator installed last summer (was loosing coolant and overheating while AC runinng). Just had Fan Clutch checked 'ok' - Had Compressor checked out Freon etc - 'ok' And I replaced radiator cap with Mopar (1st one was junk and leaked). AC seems to be working fine now BUT I'd also like to have my Mechanic replace the TOP radiator hose (its slightly ballooned 3 years old) and I'd also like him to replace the TWO hoses that connect to the compressor/water pump? They're prob original and the clamps are rusted badly. BTW the water pump is 3 years old (aftermarket). All this is preparation for having the Jeep transported to Florida where I'll be relocating. Any other things to look for to keep proper pressure, avoid leaks and keep the AC running smooth? The photo of the 2004 engine is not mine but looks the same (see the hoses I'd like to replace ... Thank You Everyone :oldglory:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Jun 13, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Probably can check off the A/C system if it's cooling well and inspected for leaks. Have both upper+lower radiator hoses inspected/replaced. The two heater hoses should be easy to replace if necessary. Is the Jeep on a road trip (axle service, trans service, engine oil, air filter, battery) or transported by rail?

3. Jun 13, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    here os a dia of hoses - high lighted the heater hoses - the radiator hoses.

Sorry busy busy day. anything else just ask....

4.0L.jpg

4. Jun 13, 2019 at 10:39 PM
    ENIGMA-MACHINE

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Wrangler
    NONE
    Thanx for the replies! Clarify/Recap: Yes those are 'Heater Hoses' and could be original - thanks for the diagram ... I'm tweaking things BEFORE moving to Florida 'Via Flatbed'. Had radiator replaced last summer but mechanic did not replace thermostat or water pump since they were both replaced 2016-17. However since suffering several 'over-heating issues' spring & summer (of this year), I'm now concerned about the STRESS the engine & Cooling System went through. So for safety sake, go ahead and have mechanic REPLACE both top and bottom Radiator Hoses, Heater Hoses & rusty clamps (which are prob original) and probably replace water pump and thermostat.

Other Clarifications: Fan-Clutch and Compressor both check out 'Ok' - AC nice n cool ... Other Enhancements: New battery last year ... New shocks this year. Brakes 'ok' ... Tranny-Engine Seal replaced - Tranny fluid - both rear and front differential fluids (with slip joint additive) all 3K miles ago.. New plugs (this year). Air filter, engine oil, fllter & lube performed every 3K ... BTW a cheap radiator cap (replaced with Mopar) leaked and caused the most recent 'over heating' issue ..

So why take a chance and not replace those 'other' Cooling System Components listed? I'm 72, disabled, this is my last vehicle (even with 130K). :jeep:

Thanx Again!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Jun 14, 2019 at 4:23 AM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    doing hoses means cooling system will be opened the fluid is drained - I suggest a new thermostat spend the few $$ more as its right at where heater hoses mount labor time is minimal. also flush the heater core as mentioned system is drained hoses are in hand the mess already made.

be sure all shrouds are there.

6. Jun 14, 2019 at 4:32 AM
    ENIGMA-MACHINE

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Wrangler
    NONE
    Hi -Awrench

Yes Sir I agree! NEW Thermostat - How bout the Water Pump?

"be sure all shrouds are there?" < I guess my mechanic knows?

7. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    72 years old and moving - god bless you, moving is an adventure think positive. Got my interest WHY relocate after all the years, Cypress Cove in Kissimmee maybe?
    Good luck

8. Jun 14, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Hello Mike, welcome from Oklahoma.
    I like the user name, quite original.

Waterpump is relatively cheap and easy and at that point why not. If for nothing else then at least you will feel more comfortable knowing it's new.

9. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    ENIGMA-MACHINE

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2004 Jeep Wrangler
    NONE
    Thank You Mr.

Awrench - You're The Man! :oldglory:

10. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    Awrench

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    If you do not mind its not all nuts bolts and fixes in the jeep world, What makes a move at 72 a reality?

And personal is a good answer... as I am 65 this year Florida (no SNOW) is a constant echo in my empty head.

To Top