1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift causing shifting issues?

Discussion in 'CJ' started by leagleagle, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Sep 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    leagleagle

leagleagle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1985 CJ7
    new owner
    My CJ7 runs and drives pretty good with the only noticeable issue in the transmission being that when shifting into the back gears (2,4,R), they are each a little stubborn. The jeep has a spring over lift on it. The issue is that second gear isn't too bad, fourth goes in but you almost have to try and let off then it will slip in easy, and reverse won't stay. When reversing, without holding the shifter back, it will pop out of gear.

I find it to be a bit of a coincidence that it is 2, 4, and R and am wondering if I have an issue with the shifter being bound by something (tub or boot) before it can seat in gear.

I realize it won't be too difficult to figure out if that is the problem, I just haven't pulled the boot yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the problem was.

2. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    If you did a transfer case drop with the lift, it's possible that the shifter boot can be pushing it out of gear. Try removing the shift boot.

To Top