1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting a few inches And shocks

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by SpartanRouge, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Nov 24, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    SpartanRouge

SpartanRouge [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2003 Grand Cherokee Larado I6 4.0 2WD
    I want to lift my GC a few inches for cheap and it seems like anything above 2 inches is really expensive. My shocks (all around) should be replaced soon anyway.
    So my questions are
    1) how high can you lift the susspesion (springs/spacers only) without going to crazy with changing control arms or drive shaft
    2) if I do lift about two inches should I get a kit that comes with after market shocks designed for the additional 2 inches or would new OEM shocks do just as well?

It’s a bit of a stiff ride now but I don’t know if it’s because the shocks are bad I just know they are because they are leaking, I would like it to “float” a little more than it does now but I don’t know what new OEM shocks feel like because I bought it this way.
    So I guess my question would be, would lifting it 2 inches in the springs over time damage OEM shocks?

2. Nov 25, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Hey Aaron. Not very if at all familiar with GCs. But I had an 00 XJ. And i beleive they are basically the same chassis. Yes, you can do a 2 inch lift with out making any other major mods. BUT, you will have to also install adjustable track bars, and possibly move or upgrade your control arms. But the biggest issue is your track bar. When you lift a vehicle, you will pull your axles out of center of the vehicle. And you can realign it / them with adjustable track bars. Your control arms will also go wacky. Which makes the vehicle feel flighty. Meaning it feels like it wants to go where it wants. And your just there for the ride. You don't ride over bumps in the road. You slam into them. Your tire approach angle is some what higher.
    So to answer your question. Yes, you can do a 2 inch lift fairly cheap. But you will have to make other mods to keep that factory ride. Hope this helps. :jeepwave:

Sorry...about the shocks. My feeling. If you have a sift ride now. And your going to lift it. Drop the extra cash and pick up shocks that will accommodate your lift, and the ride your looking for. A hydro shock works well with light off roading, and great on the street.

aggrex likes this.
To Top