1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 97 TJ will start but it runs very rough and shakes violently, then dies.

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by jca634, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    jca634

jca634 [OP] New Member

Member:
    A couple of months ago when it was extremely cold, i started the jeep up and drove into town. On the way the jeep started to run very rough and lost all power and died. I had to get it towed home. Since then, it will start but shakes and sputters and then dies, especially when I try to put it in gear. I am not very mechanically inclined but I did replace the O2 censor on the exhaust a few months ago and this feels nothing like that. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a diagnostic tool anyone can recommend that i should purchase to confirm what this is? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated...the wife does not want me spending money on it with a mechanic since it is a toy.

2. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ Member

Member:
    Get it pressure tested. Not expensive. That will tell you if you have compression in the cylinders. Sounds like it might be missing, Could be rings, pistons, valve or a head gasket. Check your oil see if you have any water or if it smells like fuel.

To Top