1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need info on what 3in bracket lift to get for my 2012 wrangler sport

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Silver4x4, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sep 22, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    Silver4x4

Silver4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Just got my first jeep looking to throw 35s on in. So in order to do that I need to get atleast a 3inch lift. Was looking at bracket lift and was wondering if anyone had any info on which one to get OR if I should go with a different type of 3in lift kit, which one should I look at. Would appreciate it. It's a 2012 wrangler sport (2 door)

2. Sep 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Hello and welcome to the site. I run 35's with a 2.5" lift on a 2012. Question: by "bracket lift" do you mean a puck lift? These are sometimes called a Budget Boost lift too. Is that what you mean?

3. Sep 22, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    I wrote this for another member. He was debating a BB vs a spring lift as well. He was looking at a slightly smaller lift though but the basics of what I posted are the same. I hope it helps....

His question was:
    "Is there a reason to go with a spring/suspension lift over a BB lift for a daily driver that is only offroaded occasionally?"

My answer was as follows:

Short answer: Basically, it is all about ride quality.

Not so short answer: I just depends on what you are looking for. A BB leaves pretty much everything just as it is except height. It does not make your ride better or worse, you just sit a tad higher. With a Spring lift (even of the exact same height) you can, if you choose well, gain a smoother ride or better handling. Of course, you may also choose a stiffer spring which while offering a rougher ride on pavement, might be better for higher speeds on rough trails.

If you are happy with your current suspension then the BB is less expensive and easier to install. If you would like to tune your suspension (so to speak) a bit more to your needs, then a spring lift may be more appropriate.

I ran AEV's 2" BB for about 8 months while AEV was finalizing their 2.5" spring lift package. The 2" lift allowed me to run 33" tires with no other modifications. When the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport spring lift became available I switched to that and 35" tires.

To put it in terms I think many will understand: We have a dirt road up to a recreation area in the forest that is travels quite heavily. I judge the differences on a spot on this road. On one sharp corner with a decent uphill grade and a nasty washboard, I make my comparison. The Wrangler suspension is really quite good off the showroom floor and the BB and I would do better on this section than my friends in TJs and YJs but, I still had to slow down a great deal and would be vibrated all over the road in this section, you just could not go slow enough to avoid this. We have all been on such washboards. However, when I switched to my particular 2.5" spring lift, I was able to travel this section of road with more comfort and far less bouncing all over the road. Even when I was going faster. (NOTE: I also changed shocks with the spring lift so some of the improvement can be attributed to them.)

A nice thing about BB lifts is they are cheap enough that you don't need to feel bad if you decide to step up to something bigger later.

You just have to decide what YOU want out of the project.

4. Sep 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    Silver4x4

Silver4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    So this would be something to look at..? Or am I completely off? Sorry but I'm completely new to all of this.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

5. Sep 23, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Silver4x4

Silver4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    OR if you could suggest a 2.5" or 3" BB lift for me to get, since you have more experience in this.

6. Sep 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    There are plenty of choices but when it comes to these budget lifts, as long as you get one with the shock adapters you are good.

That rough country kit looks just fine for a budget lift. (nothing wrong with it at all.)

Looks like a good deal to me.

Good luck with the project. Let us know how it works out. Folks like before and after pics.... :)

7. Sep 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    Silver4x4

Silver4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ended up ordering this. Thanks for the help!

image.jpg

Skyrat and chris4x4 like this.
  8. Sep 24, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    I think you will be pleased with this choice over a BB. :)

9. Oct 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    Bigboy01

Bigboy01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle:
    2014 jeep wrangler sahara
    35's, fuel wheels, 3.5 lift, DV8 bunpers with tire carrier. 50' light bar ,pods 20 in light bar on front bumper. Halo led Dv8 headlights
    Screenshot_20161002-193457.jpg Screenshot_20161002-193329.jpg Hello im new to this thread but wanted to respond to this thread. I am a rep from TopGunCustomz.com in Alcoa Tn . We have an amazing kits that can be drop shipped to your door. Theres a 2.5 that uses your factory shocks or a 3.5 kit that comes with all you need . The ride is amazing . Call me and i can have it shipped to your front door. I will have you in the high life soon enough. 423-470-2332. Allow me to build your dream jeep...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  10. Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    Silver4x4

Silver4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    She's already done. Ended up going with the 3.25 suspension lift + shocks by Rough Country. Thanks for the info tho

IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg

11. Oct 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Bigboy01

Bigboy01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle:
    2014 jeep wrangler sahara
    35's, fuel wheels, 3.5 lift, DV8 bunpers with tire carrier. 50' light bar ,pods 20 in light bar on front bumper. Halo led Dv8 headlights
    If you need any thing bunpers or what ever let me know. Have a great line of jeep accessories... have a great one

12. Oct 3, 2016 at 11:18 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Looks good! Glad it wall worked out for you!! :yes:

13. Oct 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    You can run 35s with a fender delete kit, but to stay legal you should get High flares. A 3 in lift will let you run 37s.

Bob likes this.
  14. Dec 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    efp5duke

efp5duke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    Update Post: have you had any issues with your rough country lift so far? looking to get the same one for mine. Also what kind of tires/wheels do you have?

Products Discussed in

To Top