1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member: 1977 CJ5 w/chevy small block.

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Tobe2102, May 14, 2024.

1. May 14, 2024 at 3:43 PM
    Tobe2102

Tobe2102 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ5 chevy small block
    Chevy small block w/turbo auto transmission
    Hey all I just received a 1977 CJ5 with a chevy small block. Really clean Jeep and runs really well. I have a few questions.
    - It of course has no power steering and has an after market small steering wheel making it hard to drive on roads. It "wallows" around on roads. I was wondering what anyone recommends to help me drive this thing safely. (Larger steering wheel/ball joint replacement/anything?)

- The heater fan is not coming on. Fuse? Motor? Anyone have any experience with this?

- It has a weber carburator and i am not famiiiar with those except for my 64 MG which was years ago. What do any of you recommend to replace it with (I will have to rejet or adjust for sure since I will be using it in Colorado 8-10k in elevation). Eldlebrock or Holly?

These are the main things for sure I would appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks!!

2. May 15, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    MTgeezer

MTgeezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    55 CJ 3B
    441 sbc/AGEM22W/"Super"D18/D44s-ARBs-Dutchman
    1) power steering was an option in 77 so you should be able to find a bolt-on Saginaw sector box. There are probably hundreds of different brackets for mounting dozens of different PS pumps to a sbc. I've become rather fond of Tuff-Stuff's Gen II GM pumps with a left side front mount on the front engine mount boss-such as: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bloc...-Pump-Bracket-for-Short-Water-Pump,33081.html

2) it should not wallow. If everything is tight and properly set up, these steer just fine. Wallowing could both be the result of worn parts and/or to little caster. If you are not familiar with this stuff, a visit to an alignment shop is in order.

3) carb. Just throw it away and purchase a TBI system. They REALLY shine when you are making large elevation changes. I would likely go Holly. If you can spend a bit more, Edelbrock's ProFlo 4 would be my choice and is what is on the sbc in my CJ 3B. Port injection is hard to beat when off road and at low rpms. No manifold fuel separation/distribution issues as with both carbs and TBI.

4) no idea on the blower motor but get out the multimeter and see if you are getting voltage on the blower lead. If not, start tracing it back to the fuse.

350? Old school here but I still really like gen 1 sbc's. Probably still the best bang for the buck that exists.

aggrex and Bob like this.
To Top