1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noise @ 65-75mph

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Fownine, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Sep 11, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Fownine

Fownine [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 jeep grand cherokee limited
    N/a
    Maybe someone out there can help me solve this mystery I'm having with a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited four-wheel drive with a 318.
    When I drive it at 65 -75 miles mph for at least 10 - 15 miles it starts making a roaring noise it starts off subtle and the longer you drive it the worse it gets. It gets so bad that the front end starts dipping simultaneously with the noise if I come to a stop the noise and surging stops also for a while as I pick up speed the noise comes back along with the surging. I've changed the rear wheel bearings the front hubs complete steering front end check both differentials they seem to be okay change the oil in both of those and took it to a transmission shop they advise me the transmission they advised me that the transmission and transfer case were fine I've also changed all the U-joints I have no idea where to look next if anyone could give me some ideas it would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Sep 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum.
    Hang tight. I'm sure some one be able to give you some input.

3. Sep 11, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! That's a new one to me, but hopefully someone else might have insight.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! I would have expected the transmission shop to have replicated the "roaring noise" and made the necessary repairs in addition to everything else you or they changed.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  5. Sep 12, 2017 at 2:32 AM
    Fownine

Fownine [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 jeep grand cherokee limited
    N/a
    YEAH I was expecting them to tell me it was a transfer case all the transmission

6. Sep 13, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Sounds like something is binding in the front. I'm not familiar with the 95 GC. Do you have all time 4WD or are you able to select. Are all your tire the same size and have the same where. Well worn tire in the front and new in the rear (and visa versa) will cause a bind in the T-case giving you something like what you are describing. You do have a solid front axle right? Could be differential bearings or pinion bearings but I doubt it. they usually make a high pitch squeal.

A question. Could what you are feeling be engine breaking? Maybe a fan clutch gone bad? Could it be the fan roaring. If you have electric fans this won't be your problem but maybe something else putting a bind or load on the motor, Like an ac compressor going bad. I'm just guessing and trying to through some ideas out there for you to think over.

JKBob 25 and Bob like this.
To Top