1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with O2 sensor plug

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by tedbeau, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Feb 26, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    tedbeau

tedbeau [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    I was getting an error code on my bank 2 O2 sensor. I thought the problem was a bad coil because I have had two replaced already. I went to the parts store and got a new O@ sensor and replaced it, When I took it out I noticed that the new onel ooked different on the end that went into the crossover but figured it was made by a different supplier than the old one.

I put it in and the truck still ran rough. When I got a chance I went to the auto sotre and had them clear the codes. The truck put up new codes and when I had them check it a few days later it showed a high voltage on the O2 sensor. I was curious and checked the part number they gave me and it was for a 2005 4.7 liter v8. My truck is a @005 3.7 liter. They gave me the wrong sensor. I went back and got the "correct" one. Heres the problem. The new sensor will not plug into the harness! the slots on the side of the sensor harness are narrower then the one for the 4.7. Just a little but enough to keep the connector from going on and locking. Unfortunatly my daughter tossed the original sensor so we cant take it to the store, I did show the counter guy the difference in the two plugs.

We checked and it looks like the sensor for a 2004 4.0 liter straight 6 has the plug I need but I don't know if it will be the right calibration, or still throw high or low voltage faults. I am stuck on what to do. I froze yesterday changing the sensors and trying for two hours to get the connector plugged in, Its in a terrible spot you have to got through the inner fender and can only get one hand in there to make the connection. When I finally realized the slots were wrong I put the v8 sensor back in but it still runs rough and misses.

Should I try putting the 2004 straight 6 sensor in?

2. Feb 27, 2017 at 3:22 AM
    Jasons4.6

Jasons4.6 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Black 97 cherokee sport
    4.6 stroker, m90 supercharger, true dual exhaust with sidepipes, old school 6 pack mopar hood scoop, and 3.55 gears front and rear
    A lot of parts stores have the wrong part numbers, mostly because of buying each other out so it's a good chance they gave you the wrong one. Best bet is to bring old one with you and match it up

3. Mar 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    Chillmo

Chillmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Ostrander
    03 grand cherokee loredo, 4.0 straight 6 Family jeep. Just keeping her running slowly upgrading parts
    Take the old one out at the parts store

4. Mar 4, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8-in. Third Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Compass 4x4
    Rental
    Is the code for bank 2 sensor 1 or sensor 2? There's a downstream and an upstream sensor with different keys on the electrical connector. Make sure you get the correct one. Go to RockAuto.com and verify the P/N (there are several brands available).

To Top