1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for you Jeep guys...

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by Mike the Carpenter, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Sep 14, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Mike the Carpenter

Mike the Carpenter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all, I’m a first time poster here.

I have an opportunity to put in a sealed bid for a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that has 75,100 miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle, has new front air shocks to facilitate the use of a stainless snow plow that comes with it, new brakes all the way around too. Vehicle use to leak from all fluid pans, so the mechanic dropped all the pans/covers, replaced the gaskets and fluids. Two front fenders due to the others rusting out. 4 new snow tires and goes right into 4 High and 4 Low instantly. I asked our mechanic what was wrong with it, and he stated “the body is going to rust soon. Honestly I do not care about that. He said besides that, it’s a solid vehicle. All the mechanical work was performed on it 2 years ago, and is still running good and no leaks. Jeep also comes with a hard top and no back seat.

The mechanic said the frame is solid, but rusty. There are no holes or weak points...yet.

Took it for a drive yesterday and everything drove/rode fine till I hit about 55-60 mph. You could feel the steering wheel pulling left and right. I’m assuming it needs a front end alignment from being used as a plow vehicle. Mentioned that to the mechanic when I got back and he agreed that is probably the case, and nobody mentioned that before because the Jeep rarely got driven that fast. Or my other thought is...could the REALLY short wheel base contribute to the steering wheel “hunting” for a location? That was the first time I have ever drove a Jeep so that’s why I ask the question so hopefully someone here could give me some insight.

I mentioned the Jeep has 75,100 miles on it, but it probably has twice that just sitting at idle. How long are these 6 cylinders good for? The Jeep comes with an automatic transmission. Are these a solid product, or better to shy away from? Do I need to be concerned with the transmission not being driven over 30-35 MPH very often in the vehicle’s lifetime?

I wouldn’t mind owning this as just a commuter vehicle to save on miles going onto my truck, and have something the boys can make some extra money with during the winter by plowing snow. It would basically be just a fun “toy” to have around and hopefully not break the bank with maintenance.

Now, here is the main question...what’s it worth. Minimum bid is $1200, but I know it will be going for more than that and I only get one shot at putting in a bid.

I appreciate any and all help/insight you are able to give me, because I know nothing about Jeeps.

Mike

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @Mike the Carpenter ....for 1200 it could be a great buy for a project build but for more it will take some work to make it road worthy. Frame should be inspected throughly for major rust issues especially since it was a plow vehicle with years of exposure to salt. Steering issues can be corrected assuming the frame is not bent. Compared to modern vehicles Wrangler steering are not precise but should not be pulling or excessively "hunting". Jeep engines if maintained should be fine. Post some pics of the Jeep and the "rusty" frame.

3. Sep 15, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome!

To Top