1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear hatch lock stuck in locked position with door open

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by Dcboyd, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Dcboyd

Dcboyd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all, new member here. I did some searches and wasn't getting any results so I'm starting a new thread.

I recently purchased a 1996 grand cherokee laredo 5.2l V8. Very shortly after I got it home the rear hatch would not open. I finally had some time to mess with it today and was able to get it open by removing the lower portion of the panel and pulling the rod as instructed from a video I found on YouTube.

Now that it's open, the lock latch is stuck in the lock position and the door just bounces and wont close. I was told to pull the handle and hold it while prying the latch with a screw driver lightly and it wont budge. Now my door wont shut and I cant go anywhere. I know there has to be a simple fix here but I'm not seeing it, anybody know how to resolve this?

2. Apr 18, 2020 at 6:46 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Focus now on getting the lock latch out of the lock position as slamming it shut won't work i.e. door bounces and won't close. Use small screw drivers/pliers to reset the latch out of the lock position. Thats all I got.

LYFZGOOD likes this.
  3. May 18, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    98_4.0_Laredo

98_4.0_Laredo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darien
    Vehicle:
    Jones
    How did you work the metal rod. I got it to move around but the trunk still wouldn’t open

4. May 18, 2020 at 8:57 PM
    Dcboyd

Dcboyd [OP] New Member

Member:
    The rod is vertical and you pull upwards on it to release the latch. Yours may be fully disconnected from the rod if it didn't do anything.

I was able to spray on pb blaster into the seized lock and get it going. It's working now but still rattles due to the plastic parts inside the lock being chipped/broken.

aggrex likes this.
To Top