1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear of Console Dual USB ports

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by crankorn, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Apr 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    crankorn

crankorn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Hey. I have a 2017 Laredo without any usb ports in the back of the center console. I'm thinking of installing a dual port adapter in the back of the console. I would like it to be switched with the ignition since this would use power if connected directly to the battery. I would like to use a relay connected to an ignition source to activate a relay to power the dual usb adapter. I have read somewhere that on vehicles with an inverter, there is some kind of signal wire going to the inverter to turn it on when the vehicle starts. I was wondering if this signal wire would be present on a laredo without an inverter, and could it be used to power a 12v relay which then could power the dual usb adapter. There is an unconnected yellow connector in the back of the console that looks like miniature coaxial plug. Does anyone if that's the signal wire for the factory inverter?

2. Apr 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @crankorn ....when the cig lighter broke on my Bimmer I removed the cig lighter and installed this dual USB unit. Powered from an accessory source thus no battery drain. Ez to drill a hole if needed. If the cig lighter works you could simply buy a plug-in device that has USB ports. 584FA2BF-B6D5-4074-A54A-54A18BB23074.jpg

LYFZGOOD likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    crankorn

crankorn [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Grand Cherokee Laredo
    Thanks for the suggestion. This would be an installation from scratch. No existing cig lighter or acc. wiring

4. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Drill the hole then use a multimeter to find a fuse that has power with key then use a fuse tap or source power from a nearby cig lighter or accessory that turns on with key. No relays needed for small USB device

LYFZGOOD likes this.
To Top