1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RVI auxiliary brake systems

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by Danhamilon, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Sep 24, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    Danhamilon

Danhamilon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 JL Rubicon
    Anyone operating RVI brake system while flat towing powered through auxiliary switch #4? Appears to have insufficient power after 3-4 hours.

2. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    Raven Gray

Raven Gray Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 TJ 2.5 Lil Dog
    I'm using the RVi on a 97 TJ so I can't speak directly to auxiliary switch #4 on JL. However, I direct wired a 20amp auxiliary plug to the battery so I could just unlock the steering but wouldn't have the all the accessories on. Word on the street and from RVi is the brake unit draws 2-3amps in non-braking mode. So most batteries in good condition should have enough power for days. That said, you need to calculate how much juice is being drawn by the JL itself and I as I say no real experience with that but it could be at least what the RVi is pulling. Say another 2-3amps Another factor for power life is how much the RVI is actually being used on any leg of the tow. If you need to do a lot of braking its could draw upwards of 9amps for the on the duration of the braking action.
    My experience with the TJ has been 6hr tow over the Cascades and into Blue Mountains with no noticeable discharge of the battery.
    Hope that helps.

To Top