1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SHIFT ISSUES 6 SPEED MANUAL ('12 sport 2door)

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by BELATOR03, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Oct 20, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    BELATOR03

BELATOR03 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    HUNTER
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    12 JK SPORT ALL STOCK
    IVE GOT A LEVELING KIT GOING ON AND LOOKING AT WHEELS AND TIRES, OTHER THAN THAT BONE STOCK
    Hello everyone, Im having an issue when shifting from first to second. in the early mornings when its cool out and I go to leave for work, shifting from first to second at about 3-3.5k rpm as I release the clutch and give it gas the jeep shutters, almost like taking off in second or third from a stop and you get the shutter just before you stall out. it does stop when everything warms up but with all the other vehicles ive had that were standard trans I have never noticed this. Is it just a jeep thing? Maybe some sort of sensor? in advance thank you all for any thoughts and help.

2. Oct 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! Not sure why that would be happening, but maybe someone else might know

3. Oct 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    I researched a bit on this and while there are documented tranny issues, none really fit your description.

So...I will through out some wild guesses... Consider running a few tanks of gas through with a cleaner such as SEAFOAM. It will help clean your injectors, valve seats and to a small extent, your plugs. Can't hurt but may not cure anything...still worth doing.

Some folk who report shifting issues between 1st and 2nd claim that replacing the tranny fluid with a high-quality synthetic helped them. Their issues were more about difficulty shifting so take it for what it is worth.

These are the best WAGs I have at the moment. Always remember that the more data we have on symptoms, the more likely we can help.

Good luck!!

4. Oct 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    BELATOR03

Member:
    First Name:
    HUNTER
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    12 JK SPORT ALL STOCK
    IVE GOT A LEVELING KIT GOING ON AND LOOKING AT WHEELS AND TIRES, OTHER THAN THAT BONE STOCK
    The symptoms I stated before are it...the engine runs great clutch engages and disengages fine all gears move one to the other smoothly. No other issues I have noticed. It's just in the morning when it's cool out and I fresh start it does what It does. Thank you for looking into it I think I'll take it to the dealer and get them to look at it as well.

5. Oct 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Sounds like a good choice. Sorry to be so little help. :)

Let us know what you find out so it can help the next person.

6. Oct 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    BELATOR03

Member:
    First Name:
    HUNTER
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    12 JK SPORT ALL STOCK
    Did some more searching just now and found another post on a different forum with the same issue on a jk. Seems like a fuel issue. Either the low grade fuel causes it or possibly a fuel system issue, filter, injector, etc. So since it is under warranty I'll get it checked.

7. Oct 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    That was why I suggested the SEA FOAM. I am sure the dealer will get to the bottom of it.

Bob likes this.
  8. Oct 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Does it feel like the motor shuttering or does it feel more like a mechanical shutter or slipping of the drive-train? Have you been wheeling offroad feathering the clutch a lot? If so, this causes a lot of heat and you could have glazed the fly wheel which will cause a shutter, but I would think that you would feel it most starting when engaging 1st gear from stop. Small amounts of grease on the clutch or fly wheel can do the same. If no one has opened it up to work on it you can probably rule out my grease theory.

How many miles on your jeep? If it is the motor like Richard is suggesting, Will it do the same shifting into other gears at the same RPM? Maybe a fuel filter or air filter issue. Is it time for new spark plugs? If you are in neutral and run the rpm up to the stated RPM and hold it for a couple of seconds will the engine stutter then. I had a jeep that would miss around 2500 rpm. I did a tune-up and it fixed the miss.

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top