1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting Clunk

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Shotgun12, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Aug 15, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    Shotgun12

Shotgun12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Cherokee
    None yet
    Howdy folks,
    We have a 2019 Cherokee .... bought a year ago, and has ~41K miles. Recently the wife's been experiencing a clunking type noise, and feel, that seems to be a drivetrain thing.
    It's been intermittent so far, and happens on acceleration after stopping for a sign/signal etc. She describes it as a hesitation and clunk when it shifts into second gear after driving for 30 minutes or so at highway speeds.
    It sounds like a pretty serious problem even though it should still be under factory warranty.
    Thanks for your help or opinions.

2. Aug 15, 2021 at 9:01 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Schedule a checkup for the clunk especially if the powertrain warranty is still in effect. Since it occurs when the trans shifts into 2nd gear perhaps transmission fluid service might help unless something else is worn like CV axles, etc

Groundfault likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
    I don't know what t-case you have, but it reminds me of a.common symptom with the wet clutchpack MP3023 transfer case needing a fluid change.
    I agree completely with aggrex, lots of possible causes and if its under warranty, take it to the dealership and get it fixed before it gets worse.

4. Aug 28, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    Shotgun12

Shotgun12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Cherokee
    None yet
    These guys at the Jeep dealership I went to, aren't very ambitious/competent. I mentioned the potential trans fluid issue which was brought up earlier here on the forum, and they proceeded to give me all of the PITA things that are involved in checking/or changing the tranny fluid ....removing the front wheel ....the inner fender well, etc, etc.
    Anyway, they (in so many words) refused to do this basic maintenance procedure due to all the work involved, even though this might fix the problem.
    I'm planning to contact JEEP Corp Headquarters, wherever that is, to let them know just how (non)dedicated these service people are in helping solve problems for their customers. I did not purchase the vehicle from this dealer, but this should not have any bearing on the issue.

Anyway, does anybody have the contact info for the national service dept, or whatever you call it?

5. Aug 29, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Groundfault

Groundfault Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    87 Wrangler, kind of...
    5.7 V8 with Whipple Supercharger, TH350 w/B&M Shifter, NP205 TC, Dana 60 front 4.56, GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear 4.56, 4 wheel discs, Bilstein shocks, 6" lift on 37's, Autometer gauges, all led lighting and a few other things.
To Top