1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shocks! Who's controlling?

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by SmittyJeeper, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    SmittyJeeper

SmittyJeeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    So here it is.. I lifted my TJ about 8 months ago and went with fox 2.0 race shocks. They did great up until now when both the rear decided to completely blow out at the same time... The ride quality was soft when they were new so I am thinking of running bilsteins or rancho. I've ran both before but what are your thoughts? Anyone of you lean one way or another? I'm pretty sure my expensive fox shocks are under warranty but of course they what me to send them in and they will send another pair out when deemed "covered" under warranty... this spells 6-8 weeks with no shocks, and that's just not practical.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    billys'cj likes this.
  2. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Man......My opinion, Fox has kinda gone down hill in quality. Bilstien runs a generic dampening rate, which is the same for every vehicle. and Ranchos make a vehicle ride like a wagon. In the Wrangler platform, ive found the Old Man Emu to give a nice controlled ride, but soak up the bumps better than the others I have tried. FWIW, My Buddy who is currently running Fox, ran passenger on a trail he did a week earlier in his vehicle, and couldn't believe the difference between the OME and Fox. Didn't feel the bumps with the OME as he did with the Fox. Terraflex makes Wrangler focused shocks too, but I don't have any experience with those.

3. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    King or icon.

4. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    I haven't run them on a Wrangler, but kinda different worlds. Kind is a Progressive rate, while Icon is Digressive. That being said, I think they are both awesome shocks.

5. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    I have kings and they are amazing off road a little on the stiff side on road. Icon little softer on road but still monster off road. Kings are rebuildale unlike the icons tho.

6. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:47 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    All the Icons I have seen are fully rebuild able.

7. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Have you thought about rebuilding the shocks you have? I know they are under warranty, but changing the seals, and re pressurizing is pretty easy. Plus, you can change the oil and get some fresh stuff in there.

8. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    I am misinformed. My bad jeeps.net.

chris4x4 likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Their site does mention the following:

"Until further notice, ICON Vehicle Dynamics will no longer be performing shock services in house.". That could be why some folks might think they cant be rebuilt. But their site shows "All ICON shock absorbers are 100% rebuildable and 100% revalveable".

aggrex and Rc Jeep[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Sep 4, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    SmittyJeeper

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    I know king is some of the best out there but man are they spendy. I'll look into icon and see what they offer. Thanks for the shock advise, I'm pretty disappointed at my fox I thought they would be much better and last.

11. Sep 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    It doesn't cost much to replace the seals yourself. Might be worth a couple hours of time, rather than the cost of buying new.

12. Sep 4, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    SmittyJeeper

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    They are the adventure series and not rebuildable from what I understand... I'm looking at the rock krawler emulsion series about $175 apiece.

13. Sep 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Ah....Yeah, those have the metal body, IIRC. If it has a nitrogen port, then you can rebuild them with a standard 2.0 rebuild kit. You can find them for under 10 bucks. If they dodnt have the port, then you can send them in, and they just swap them for new.

To Top