1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock dana

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by jeepavalanche, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Oct 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    jeepavalanche

jeepavalanche [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think a lot of us in the Jeep community underestimate the ability of our stock dana axles. After seeing stock Dana's with 40 inch tires drive over obstacles and through mud, slamming themselves up and down, I stepped over to talk to a few of those people. I asked, have you ever had any issues with these big tires on those stock Dana's driving over rocks. That sure seems like a lot of weight and stress on those axles. Their response, not verbatim, but nonetheless is, "I've had this Jeep over 6 years, take it wheeling all the time, and at 200 plus thousand miles, never had an issue". Meanwhile, 4 wheel drive places will tell you you shouldn't even consider a 37 on it, and only a 35 if you plan on street driving only.

I guess to each his own, but there was plenty of evidence this weekend that a stock dana can handle a 40, not just on-road, but off-roading with hard impact wheeling.

Not suggesting anything, just sayin'.

I'm sure there are videos of people snapping their axles on 33's driving in sand. Just makes you wonder....

2. Oct 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Haven’t done it yet but IMO the stress to the drivetrain goes up pretty quick when you cross the 37-40” threshold and go off-road. The Dana 30 front and 44 rear have decent durability with 35s max but ymmv

Products Discussed in

To Top