1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions on tires/and if gearing should be changed to run 35's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 2012JKsahara, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Oct 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    2012JKsahara

2012JKsahara [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle:
    2012redwranglersahara
    3" lift 35" inch tires
    hey guys.... I'm brand new to the forum but look forward to sharing the progress of my wranglers build as well as get advice from all the people that know way more than me on here. I'm getting my 3" BDS lift (fox shock upgrade) put on this coming Wednesday. Im so excited to finally lift my jeep. I've had lift envy for two years every time I see a lifted jeep.
    I'm looking for some advice on what tires I should get. Both size and brand. The off-road place that's installing my lift kit has pretty much talked me into 35's. they said that overall 8/10 keeps they lift they put 35's on and they've never had anyone come back unhappy. He said they just fit the newer jeeps the best, especially with the 3" lift. He told me I should buy a modulator to get my speedometer and odometer reading correctly as well as make some changes to computer. I'm wondering what changes to the computer he's talking about besides getting the geometry correct for the gauges to read correct?
    So...back to tires. I'm going to run my factory wheels for the foreseeable future...I might get some new wheels down the road. I've got 18" black factory wheels. It is my daily driver,and ride means a lot to me. I've made the mistake on other vehicles of getting super swamped thornbirds, that vibrated and hummed so loud you couldn't hear the radio! Ha! I want a long lasting, durable, fairly quite, but halfway aggressive looking all terrain. Please share your thoughts!

2. Oct 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Welcome to the site!!

3. Oct 3, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    35" tires fill the wheel wells well and that is considered to be more pleasing aesthetically. You can go to 35" with a lift 2.5" or larger.

He is talking about a programmer. There are many on the market. Some do performance programming and all sorts of things. For your purposes, you need to be able to adjust tire size, possibly tire pressure monitor settings and if you do a gear swap...to set the computer for that too. An AEV Procal will do those minimum things and some more. If you are looking for performance programming then consider one of the programers from Superships. (but there are many more to choose from) I use the AEV Procal.

To utilize your stock wheels with 35" tires you will need to add wheel spacers or you will need to change your mind and get new wheels with the proper backspacing for 35s.

Remember, the more bad-___ the tires look, the more noise they will likely make and the less traction they will have for ice on pavement. Go to one of the on-line tire sites and look for a design you like. Pick a few and show us pics here....then we will know a little about what you are looking for and can give better advice on brands and such. It sounds to me like a good AT style tire may be the answer for you.

I did not answer all your questions but I hope the answers I gave are of assistance to you.

Good luck!

4. Oct 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
  5. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    As for the suggested gearing....you can get away with the 3.73s for street use. 4.10s are great for a dual purpose rig (whatI run) and 4.56 if you are going to be more about crawling than pavement. Any lower and you will have issues on the highway.

6. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    2012JKsahara

2012JKsahara [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle:
    2012redwranglersahara
    3" lift 35" inch tires
    Wow guys thanks so much for the advice. The tires in trying to decide on are...Mastercraft AT's, Nitto terra grapplers, and a Cooper all terrain. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    For what it is worth: I have no knowledge on the Mastercraft AT's. Nitto terra grapplers have a great reputation. Cooper all terrain tires did right by me. I liked them and am more than willing to recommend them.

8. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    C2T is correct and I can expound on the subject a little for clarification.

Re-gearing to the correct gear for your application can negate the need for purchasing a programmer by following this formula:

Current Gear Ratio X New Tire Diameter / Old Tire Diameter = New Gear Ratio.

Demo:

3.55 X 35 / 30 = ? . . . . . 4.1416 . . . the closest gear ratio will 4.10 At this gear your speedo will be accurate.

Many Jeepers want a little deeper gearing than stock ratios for wheeling like going 4.56s or 4.88s using the above application which will then require you to purchase a programmer to correct for the changes you've made.

If you do not have a 5 speed or an automatic with overdrive and plan on driving a lot on the highway I would try to stick to the formula.

I have 37s on a CJ with 4.56 gears and a 3spd, and I can't drive over 65mph without redlining. It is not a very highway friendly combo. I usually drive it to the mall (just kidding), around town and I tow it to the trails in case anything breaks and can't be fixed there.

C2T likes this.
  9. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I like the Nitto's too. The Master craft is new on the market from China or Korea I think (not sure) Seen a lot of them posted for sale used with like new tread on them. I run Toyo MTs. They work well in everything I've tried except gumbo mud. Nothing works in that stuff.

10. Oct 4, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    And don't forget...when folks talk about regearing...the 07 to 11 JKs regear VERY differently from the 12+ JKs. So watch for some confusion there.

Peter...nice info on the math. :) I did not know that.

chris4x4 likes this.
To Top