1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions wanted for a Pre-Project Set up for EV Jeep Conversion

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK Builds (2007-2017)' started by TheNuclearSoldier, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Dec 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    TheNuclearSoldier

TheNuclearSoldier [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    Small lift kit
    So I bought my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a few years back, but I'm wanting to start setting up for a EV conversion. Reason being, I love electric vehicles, but I also love Jeeps. I'm inspired by the upcoming Tesla trucks and I'm a huge fan of scifi series like Star Wars and Mass Effect. I wanted to post my ideas for it thus far and get some feedback and further ideas. I don't currently have a budget as I am unsure of the total expected cost of the project.

Convert the Jeep from an internal combustion engine to electric motors. The motors need to provide almost as much or more torque than what I have currently and retain off road 4x4 capability.

Keyless entry and push button start. I will need a RFID chip reader and a push button kit. I was also thinking of having separate switches that turn on/off individual systems. this would make the start up a little longer but it would add a extra layer of security as a would be thief would need to know the start up sequence.

Replacing the stock radio in the dashboard with a touch screen monitor.

Onboard diagnostic system. Capable of detecting errors or problems on most if not all systems of the Jeep and display them on a dashboard screen, preferably with a cut away diagram of the jeep showing the location of the issue.

Rear camera for backing up, also to be displayed on the dashboard screen.

Solar panels on the roof to allow for some measure of recharge when a charging station is unavailable, like when I'm out camping or hunting.

2. Dec 14, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I don't think you will have a torque issue. Electric motors are full of it. Have fun with this build. I can't say that I will ever do it, but it will be cool to watch you do it. Please post your thread in the build section so we can watch your progress. Would be great if you kept a spread sheet on the cost and updated it as you go so others can see if the cost is worth it for them perform a similar conversion.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  3. Dec 14, 2016 at 10:43 PM
    TheNuclearSoldier

TheNuclearSoldier [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    Small lift kit
    It will be awhile before I get to the meat of the build. Electric engines cost alot and Im still researching electric vehicles so I know what Im doing, hence why Im asking for suggestions and such. I can probably start adding those secondary additions in the near future, such as the back up camera.

Bob likes this.
  4. May 2, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    Any progress on this build? Your to-do list sounds ambitious :thumbsup:

chris4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top