1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talk me out of buying an '08 Rubi...plz

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by MD_7.three, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Dec 18, 2023 at 9:05 AM
    MD_7.three

MD_7.three [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, long time Jeeper but been out of the game for the last 15 years as life and family took priorities over jeep'n. Looking to get back in the game as my boys are growing up so they can learn the ways of wrenching and wheeling like I did as a kid with my dad.

I've been looking for a JK for a while, can't really stand the JL's tbh, but trying to find something CLEAN and a good canvas from which to start with low mileage and any cosmetic mod's that are bearable I haven't found that right one yet. I've really only been looking like 2013+

I came across an '08 Rubicon, garage kept, 0 frame rust (which is a rarity in the Northeast), only non-stock options are it's riding on 35" mud terrains with less than 3k mi on them with full size spare, has a 4" rough country lift, Stainless cat back dual exhaust, and smittybuilt front bumper w/out a winch/plate.

Wife says I'm an idiot for even considering spending that kind of money (basically priced the same as most 2015 Sahara's with the same mileage....I say the tires and lift alone save me $5k off the start compared to those 2015 sahara's...

Someone talk me out of (or into) buying this thing despite it being a little long in the tooth at 15 years old...

It will be my daily mainly because I don't drive my F250 daily due to diesel prices, but I drive less than 15 miles each way to work and have summers off (teacher).

2. Dec 18, 2023 at 1:55 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @MD_7.three
    IMO: a clean, solid low mileage 2008 Rubi could be a nice project to get back in the game at the right price but it will probably require some TLC to become a reliable daily driver due to age and an unknown past. If the aftermarket parts appeal to you thats a plus but keep in mind there is a limit on the boost to the value for a used vehicle. The 2008 has the 3.8L engine 200hp and Jeep upgraded the engine in 2012 with the 3.6L 285hp. If the previous owner moved up to 35s without proper gearing changes the drivability could be less than optimum. Figure on axle maintenance, radiator, brakes, steering components etc for wear. Good luck with your choices and post what you settle on.

3. Dec 18, 2023 at 2:32 PM
    MD_7.three

MD_7.three [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’d figure 4.10’s ought to turn 35’s ok … 6spd…no?

I think I pretty much talked myself out of it at this point. Even only 75k mi 15 years old is still 15 years old. For the price I could get a stock 2015-17 Sahara and a true blank canvas but the allure of the Rubi sure is tempting.

4. Dec 18, 2023 at 5:10 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    There are Rubi specific parts that make a Rubi a Rubi. Depending upon your main objective with the Jeep, that should help guide you to either the Sahara or Rubi.

Bob likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top