1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thermostat/coolant code keeps coming back on

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by RokStar, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mar 25, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    RokStar

RokStar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    Stock
    Hey All, Good to be here and see so many great posts. I have a 2013 Sport Unlimited with 79k on it. Great vehicle, dual tops. Original tires (SRA's) lasted me 70k and I have never had to do anything mechanically to this Jeep. Recently my engine light has come on. I had the code tested and it came back with thermostat for coolant. I've cleared the code three times but then in 4-5 days it comes on again. The mechanic said just watch the engine temperature so that it doesn't get too "hot." Also if it flashes, pull over and get it to a garage. A long story here but I love my "baby" and I want to make sure from you experts that it is ok to drive under the advise I have above? I think in the summer it may be an issue but right now the thermostat meter on the dash never goes above half way. Thoughts? I appreciate it!

2. Mar 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    A few Jeeps have had casting sand left in the cooling tracks in the engine, and over flow. Might not hurt to have the cooling system flushed.

OFFGRID likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Don't panick over my comment, its not as big of an issue as it may seem.:jeepwave:

4. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    If youre going to flush the cooling system, you might as well change out the thermostat. They are cheap enough, unless of course you really mean the temperature sensor; if that is acting up it can affect other areas of how the Jeep runs i.e. poor fuel mileage, running too rich or too lean etc.

chris4x4 likes this.
  5. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Jeeptrail

Jeeptrail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Hubbardston MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Wrangler JK Rubicon, white
    At 79K miles, The codes indicate probably time for a flush, replacement thermostat and coolant. Don't wait for the hot summer and an overheating engine.

6. Mar 28, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Might just be the sensor.... just a thought.

7. Apr 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    K6puppy

K6puppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Arizonia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited wellys wheeler Black
    xrc front bumper 12000 pound badlands winch 6 pod lights fender flares kc headlight 285/70/17 tires 2 inch leveling kit bushwhacker air snorkel k/N intake rough country duuel steering stabilizer kit
    Hi if you have a you need to replace of P0128 you need to replace thermostat and flush cooling system you should fix your problem if you have any other codes please post and will help you get to bottom of your problem

chris4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top