1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing chains can ruin lives

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Sunnysjones, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Sep 1, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    My Jeep is my world. And though she was passed through all my siblings before me, she was just as magical when I got her. She took me through all the ropes. Led me down every road and over every curb that tried to get in my way. From my first speeding ticket to my first time pleasing a woman, she was there for me. From Dauphin Island to Pensacola to Gadsden and even Atlanta, she got me there and back. All she asked was for a little tinkering here and there. And in her last year, I'd given her a new windshield, tires, and even updated her ac system and added a custom drawer behind the hatch. And though all the signs were there, I failed to see that her timing chain was worn. And she did all she could for me until the very end. She finally let go peacefully in a Lowe's parking lot while I was rolling along in second gear. She gave a strange rattle and I hit the clutch hoping to stop and diagnose the issue, but she kept rattling then gave a couple strange chugs and she hasn't made a noise since. That's when I knew she loved me as much as I loved her, because I was getting ready to hop on the highway and head to work. Only god knows what could've happened then.

It's been about a year now and I've kept her around hoping to do something with her, but I don't have money and I can't keep her where she's been, so I think it's about time I have to let her go. I'll be posting something in the buy/sell/trade section soon if your interested. And remember to check on your timing chain!

aggrex and OFFGRID like this.
  2. Sep 1, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    Hell of an intro. Welcome to the site!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Welcome.... have you at least opened it up to see what the damage may be? Likely just need a timing chain as the 2.5 liter is non-interference engine it most likely did not damage any of the valves.

May not be as costly to repair as you might think and you won't know until you look.

Bob, JKBob 25, aggrex and 2 others like this.
  4. Sep 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    That's what I suggested to a couple friends when I talked about it and they said even if there wasn't any damage to the valves, we already know there's damage to both the crankshaft and the camshaft gears, and the work to replace those seems pretty extensive. But thanks for the suggestion. If anything, I might consider throwing another used engine in it if I knew it was still in pretty good shape.

5. Sep 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Sounds like the Jeep is your world. Follow prerunner 1982 suggestions before investing in an engine as you can't make it any worse...only better.

JKBob 25 and Prerunner1982 like this.
  6. Sep 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  7. Sep 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    I may try to do that. But like I said I really don't have money to put into a Jeep that may not work, or much time to be doing it. But I really do appreciate the support.

8. Sep 1, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the site. As Bob said. "Hell of an intro."

Sorry to hear about your loss. Jeeps are like pets. They become a member of the family. Sounds like she went quick and fairly pain free. Although sad to think. She may have been in pain for some time with her main artery, timing chain, slowly failing. Very sad. But I beleive things happend for a reason. As you said. You were about to hop on the freeway and head to work. Thinking what issues you could have had with her, if she couldn't hold on until you got work. And she went at highway speeds. Your story...or her Orbituary....could have ended up being written by some one other than you. So in a sense. She may have saved you from some many problems, issues, cash, and who knows what else.
    Turns out. She had your back. :). Again....Sorry for your loss.

Ok....back to the issue at hand. I agree with several members post. I would at least do an autopsy, open her up, and make sure she's a total loss before you bury her. Just my opinion too.

9. Sep 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    SmittyJeeper

SmittyJeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 wrangler 4.0 6speed
    5" lift, 4.11 gears, tru-trac limited-slips, winch, bumbers... you know the rest.
    Agreed! I've done a few and they are not that hard to do. You can get the whole timing set and gaskets on RockAuto for less than $100. Dont give up hope!!! Details on the jeep? Mileage? Condition?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Sep 1, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Before you send her off to pasture. Again....open her up. Biggest questions. ^^^^^milage and condition?. And the biggest. Do you want to keep her? Or move on the an up dated model??. Either way....going to cost ya a few bucks

Feel for your loss. We're here for ya Bro. Vent if you need to. :)

aggrex likes this.
  11. Sep 2, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    Well, I guess I'll try putting a new timing chain on and see what happens. At least then, I don't have to tow it anywhere. But I'd really like to put another engine in there one day. Idk. I really liked that she was just the bones model, all I ever wanted was a little more power out if her, honestly. I'll let y'all know what I end up doing, since youre concerned and interested in whatll happen to her.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Sep 2, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Definitely dude. Keep us posted. I'm subbed. As im sure others are.

13. Sep 6, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    So, the whole deal is that it was sitting at a friend's shop and he needed it moved. And I don't have a place to move it to and I didn't have time to do the work. So, I ended up having to sell it to a junkyard. They're coming to pick it up now. So, if any of y'all are near mobile, AL, there's gonna be a pretty good cherokee to pick from soon at Barry's u pull it. All of it's in pretty good shape, it'll just need cleaning. Side note, I pulled off the drawer I built for the back if anyone's interested. I guess I should make a selling post about it. Or I might keep it to remind me of the good times. Idk yet. Here's the Reddit post I made of it

https://www.reddit.com/r/CherokeeXJ/comments/3q2ccl/i_figured_since_im_gonna_be_carrying_my_tools/

14. Sep 6, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Sorry you had to let her go. Any plans on picking up another Jeep?
    Has withdrawal symptoms set in yet. Lol.:confused:

15. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    Sunnysjones

Sunnysjones [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 cherokee 4 banger
    Definitely having withdrawals. I've really always wanted a Comanche. They're so interesting to me. I just wish they weren't so rare. Cause it would make finding parts easier.

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top