1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire width for a daily overland rig (JGC WK2)

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by wk2traildragon, May 26, 2020.

1. May 26, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    wk2traildragon

wk2traildragon [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trail Dragon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI
    @wk2traildragon
    Adding a 2.5" OME suspension lift to the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I picked up to turn into my overland rig named "Trail Dragon". However, this is also a daily driver.

Because I've run them in the past and loved them, I'm going with Toyo Open Country M/T: Off-Road Tires With Maximum Traction | Open Country M/T

I've already researched and debated the 18" vs 20" rim size, and decided to start with 20's. If you're curious why we made that decision for Trail Dragon, let me know, and I can start a new thread. In this thread, I wanted to discuss tire width specifically.

I was talking to my tire & wheel guy, and when I mentioned going with 295/55R20 on 20x8.5 he replied that it's a "very wide tire, and I worry about onroad handling. When they get that wide, there's a lot of tread squirm and they tend to make the Jeep very "darty" feeling. Is there one that's more narrow that suits you?"

The 295/55 calculates to roughly 32.8" tall/11.6" wide. The only other size in the lineup that seems like a good fit is 275/55. That brings the tire to roughly 31.9" tall/10.8" wide.

Because this is a daily driver that will see quite a bit of on-road miles in addition to going off-road, what are your thoughts here?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. Jun 7, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Grand Cherokee Overland
    Since I already did it and I'm me, I'd buy a tire more suited to the 'quite a bit of on-road' use (= hiway) miles.. How about this one?
    https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/size/295-50-20
    It's as tall as you want and probably safer on the road than a more-off-road tread type.. FWIW, I put 259/45-20s on my 'new' 2015 GC.
    https://www.jeeps.net/threads/new-2...-20-on-15-grandokee-overland.4924/#post-37485
    These obviously are much-more hiway tires than what you're considering, but it makes no sense to me to compromise hiway performance for what might be 2% off-road driving..

But we're all different and get to make our own choices. :)

To Top