1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires, tires everywhere!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bob G, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jan 29, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    Bob G

Bob G [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Garrott
    Nothing yet!
    Greetings. I am a relative newbie to the Jeep world and I am seeking advice on replacement tires. I tow my 2014 Wrangler Sport behind an RV and 99% of mileage is on paved roads, but I want to increase my ability to go off road without building a full up rock crawler. It still has the stock Wrangler ST tires in P225/75R16 (on steel rims) that are nearing replacement time. I am looking at Cooper Discoverer A/T tires as the replacement but I am undecided whether I should stick with the stock rims and the same tire size, go with smaller and wider rims with wider tires, or some other direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    I would think a good AT is the way to go, based upon how you intend to use it, just as you are thinking. As for changing things...what is your goal in making the changes? Taller tires give slightly better clearance but bring their own issues such a rubbing or needing a lift or new wheels with appropriate backspace.

As for going with a smaller wheel...DON'T do it. There are some who will tell you that a 15" wheel will work IF you find exactly the correct wheel.... this is true but there is ZERO benefit, in your case, to going smaller and a number of negatives. You are better to stick where you are or go to a 17", which is what I would do if I had an urge to change wheels. There is a massive number of 17" wheels to choose from, it will work with all the JK/JKU models and there is a large selection of tire models and sizes to go with it. An 8" to 9.5" wide rim works well for a wide variety of tires/sizes. A backspace of between 4.5" and 5.2" will do. Get the 4.75 or 5/5.2 if available as they will tuck better under your fenders (which can be important in some jurisdictions as you apparently travel a bit). Make no mistake, there is nothing wrong with a 16" rim, I just prefer the 17s myself.

You said you spend 99% of your time on pavement so I do not recommend going with really wide tires. "TOO Wide"=more than 12.5" wide IMHO. Going wide will just decrease your handling characteristics on pavement.

If you are not going to do a lift, stick with 33" tire or less. 33s on your stock tires will rub slightly at full turn but nothing bad.

Remember, changing tire size changes gearing - the larger the tire diameter the less power to the wheels - unless you regear so consider carefully.

Just my thoughts...for what they may be worth.

To Top