1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TJ engine swap

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by aljeep47, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Nov 3, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    aljeep47

aljeep47 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfred
    Vehicle:
    1997 red TJ
    2" lift, 33 in tire
    My son recently bought a 97 TJ. It needs significant engine work (4 cyl). I did some research on conversions and find them expensive for the proposed engine/adapter kits and challenging to a relatively novice mechanic. Would installing a stock IL 6 make more sense and be relatively easy? Would a TJ 6 cyl and all its accessories, electrical, plumbing, etc make sense? I think it would be a much better improvement than having current 4 cyl rebuilt. I've not owned a jeep for years but am impressed with the off-road abilities of the 4 banger, unimpressed with the on-road abilities. Has anyone experience with the stock 6 swap for the stock 4?

2. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Does the Jeep have a manual trans? If so it won't bolt up to a 4.0, you would need an AX-15. The stock tcase won't bolt up to the AX-15 as the spline count is different, so you would need an NP231 from behind an AX-15 or an adapter kit.

The 4 cylinder auto trans also will not bolt up and even Advanced Adapters doesn't make an adapter for it.

You may also need the computer and wiring harness from a 4.0 manual trans TJ and you will probably have to cut off and weld on motor mounts in the correct location.

This is just some quick info I found, there may be other things such as sensors and such that would have to be wired in.

Here is a lot of good info on motor swaps for the TJ and the needed adapters. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/swap-guides/chevy-buick-gm/tj-swap

I don't know if the stock transfer case behind the 4 cylinder would even be able to be adapted to a V8 and trans due to the difference in spline count, without the input shaft being swapped. A 6 cylinder t-case can be adapted though.

The most cost effective path is to rebuild a 4 cylinder, if you are going to swap the drivetrain you might as well go for a V8 as it is almost just as much work.

aggrex and UrbanCowboy like this.
  3. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:46 AM
    aljeep47

aljeep47 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfred
    Vehicle:
    1997 red TJ
    2" lift, 33 in tire
    It does have standard 5 speed manual

4. Nov 6, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    What Prerunner said. To make it work you will need a donor jeep with the 4.0 ax15 and tcase as well as wiring harness and computer. Probably cheaper to rebuild the 4cyl and regear for better highway friendly streetability.

To Top