1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TJ skid plate/belly pan under oil pan

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by The4x4Guys, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    The4x4Guys

The4x4Guys [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black JLUR
    Mopar 2" lift, 37" BFG KO2's, KMC Rockstar 17" wheels, JCR Offroad front and rear bumpers, WARN Zeon 10-S, CoolTech CB Radio Kit, Rock Slide Engineering step sliders, TeraFlex adjustable steering stabilizer, Rock Krawler adjustable track bars,Magnaflow dual tip black exhaust.
    Is it possible to remove the skid plate under the oil pan and the cross member to get to the oil pan?

I want to change the oil pan gasket and while I'm in there consider doing the rear main seal. I have a quote from a local Jeep shop for $635 and I'm considering doing the job myself, although I don't have a lift.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm going to do all the other servicing on my own (transmission, transfer case, front and rear diff, power steering) and radiator). If I need a rear main seal, it seems silly to pay $635 for something I may be able to do on my own. Its the lack of a lift and if I can detach the crosse member and skid pan without screwing up the Jeep.

2. Apr 22, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    Harleymick

Harleymick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mick
    Vehicle:
    1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    6 inch lift, 35" tires, .488 gears and 4.7L Stroker pushing 300 HP
    Exhaust disconnect new.jpg My friend, if you know someone that works on exhaust I strongly recommend an exhaust quick release in front of the transmission skid plate first. Anything like this. The exhaust pipe blocks the oil pan from being removed and it is attached to the transmission as well as the frame in the back. This way you only need to remove the section from here to the exhaust manifold or header.

One more thing. You can remove the crossover and skid plate without harming the Jeep. Just put a jack stand under the trans as close to the cross plate as you can get it. You can do this.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
To Top