1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Train Horn Installation/Bypass

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by scuubydoo3, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    scuubydoo3

scuubydoo3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    CAI, Exhaust
    Hey everyone,
    First post for jeep. I need some help. I currently have a '16 Jeep Trailhawk. I just ordered some aftermarket 150db train horns. installing them won't be that difficult once I figure out where to put them. I'm not too electrical savvy. So I've come to here for help.
    I have a couple different options to install. First, I can install it to a switch and use that to activate the horns. Second and this is where the question falls. I can install the horns to activate when I press the center of the steering wheel that activates the OEM car horn.
    The question: How can I/Where would I install the wires so that in the event the car alarm activates that only the OEM horn honks. OR if I leave the keys in the car, only the OEM horn honks. BUT when I press the steering wheel the aftermarket horns blow in addition to the OEM horns.
    Any serious advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Jan 15, 2020 at 4:28 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @scuubydoo3 ...IMO keep it simple and use a separate switch for the Train horn in order to maintain the OEM horn.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    scuubydoo3

scuubydoo3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    CAI, Exhaust
    Thanks Aggrex!

Installing a switch is an option. That would be my second option. In the event of an emergency or where a horn would be needed rather quickly, I liked the idea of the after market horns operating when the steering wheel was pushed.

So I was hoping that there was to wire it that way.

4. Jan 20, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    I'd wire it up so it's like the big rigs with the pull cord. Easy to access but yet it's out of the way. Or you can just wire it up to a pressure switch and mount it somewhere you can get to it but yet out of the way enough so if you got some drunk and or crazy passengers they cant reach it and scare the hell out of people lol

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. May 13, 2022 at 4:29 AM
    Jeepin Jim

Jeepin Jim New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Wrangler sport 2 door
    Where does one get a hold of said train horn? .....asking for a friend

To Top