1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to cure a light case of death wobble

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by SergeantYates, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    SergeantYates

SergeantYates [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Vehicle:
    1997 forest green TJ 4.0
    Lift (don’t know how much), new 33in tires and wheels
    not real sure if this is exactly the right category to ask this, but I just got a 97 Wrangler sport edition, and after the first time I went 4-wheeling, I started getting the death wobble. I changed every u joint in the thing, even the front axle ones, and it made a big difference, but I still hear a rattle and the steering wheel wobbles a little bit every now and then at around 45-55 mph. At first I thought a wheel balancing might be the solution, but when inspecting the tie rod ends, I noticed that there was old grease all around a few of them. I shot new grease into all the boots, but while I was doing that I also noticed that I could wiggle the front track bar forward and backwards and made a rattle noise while doing it. And within a few minutes of pumping grease into the boots grease started coming out of all but 2 of the boots. So, I need confirmation, do I need a new track bar bushing? New tie rod ends? Or both? Let me know if more info is needed.

2. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @SergeantYates replacing the loose trackbar would be a good first step.
    Inspect the frame mount for the TB for ovaling or bolt hole enlargement.
    xjeep-steering-diagram.jpg.pagespeed.ic.i2iql7up02.jpg

IMG_20190309_102702_edit.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    JKBob 25 and FishinSam like this.
  3. Mar 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Vehicle:
    1997 forest green TJ 4.0
    I’ll check when I can

4. Mar 9, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Vehicle:
    1997 forest green TJ 4.0
    Ok, so I took another look at the bolt holding in the tb to the axle and realized that it was just loose, and the bushing looks pretty decent. so I torqued it down to specs (125 pound feet) and I couldn’t move it at all after that, but when I drove it to see if I still experienced the rattle, I still heard it rattle when I start off in first. I have no idea what is causing the rattle. Anybody got any ideas?

5. Mar 9, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Just like loose shock mounts the brackets can get twisted and mounting holes elongated. Extended periods driving the jeep with DW tend to compound suspension issues with other components having unusual wear.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Vehicle:
    1997 forest green TJ 4.0
    I found the issue, it was a bad wheel bearing. I put the new one in and absolutely no wobble. That’s the good news. The bad news is that when I was test driving it, after installing the new wheel bearing, I noticed considerably more rattling noise at around 45-55 mph and when slowly accelerating and felt like it was doing it the entire time while driving down a rough road. I read in another thread that it could be some bearing in the transfer case. I’ll have to push down on the 4wd lever when it starts rattling and if it stops when I push down on the lever, that is the source. I’ll give it a try next time i’m out in the Jeep.

To Top