1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to cure a light case of death wobble

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by SergeantYates, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Jun 11, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    Halfmoonclip

Halfmoonclip Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 TJ Rubicon
    Improved headlights, airlockers available in Hi Range, pushbar, other odds n' ends
    Sarge, we'll have to respectfully disagree. My Rubi is bone stock, tire size and suspension wise, which likely makes a huge difference. I'm on my second set of shocks, too...is that masking something? Stuff wears out.
    Moon

2. Jun 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    SergeantYates

SergeantYates [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    4 in. Lift, new 33in tires and wheels
    “We’ll”? You are just one person. You are right about stuff wearing out eventually. Even a bone stock Jeep can get death wobble if a certain component decides to fail, but steering stabilizers cures BUMP STEER. All the proof you need is in the video I shared, but if you keep talking about how I’m wrong, you clearly haven’t watched it yet, or at least not all of it. But to each his own. You have your opinion and I have mine.

3. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    Halfmoonclip

Halfmoonclip Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 TJ Rubicon
    Improved headlights, airlockers available in Hi Range, pushbar, other odds n' ends
    I told you what had worked, repeatedly, on my bone stock Jeep. It's a shock absorber, and shocks wear out. Had a similar experience with an XJ, solved the same way. My opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it. I'll remember not to disagree in the future.
    Moon

LYFZGOOD likes this.
  4. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    I’m just saying I have heard from multiple sources that steering stabilizers are not a true fix for death wobble. I was just hoping that you would see that and take a closer look at some of your other steering components just in case you were wrong. Just checking never hurt anybody.

5. Jun 11, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Everyone's experience with DW can be different just as the cause(s) can be different. It's good to hear what has worked or didn't work because we all learn from the discussion. For example during a breakdown on the trail some Macgyver tricks could make the difference to patch a problem. Just agree to disagree.

6. Jun 11, 2020 at 6:53 PM
    Halfmoonclip

Halfmoonclip Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 TJ Rubicon
    Sarge/others, maybe we aren't in agreement about definitions. In my book, the death wobble is a sudden, violent, shaking of the wheel at road speed, following a one wheel impact. That led to my remark that you don't 'sorta' get one. Taught my daughter to drive the XJ, and it became hers at maybe 75K. She came home one day and told me about the steering wheel going crazy, scared the bejeezus out of her. Changed out the steering damper, never happened again. It is a consumable part, and the factory put it there for a reason.
    Sarge, I heartily concur that it might be possible for lots of other things to contribute, and repeatedly replacing the damper may just be covering bigger issues. I've been getting about 50K out of dampers, which seems reasonable. Is the DW more likely with a big lift, oversize tires, more unsprung weight? It would seem so to me.
    Now, for the OP's question, what I'd like to know is does the wheel shimmy all the time, or following a one wheel impact...a slight shake that quickly dissipates just means the damper settled it down, as it should.
    Be good, guys, and I'm surely not meaning to be a PITA. :)
    Moon

aggrex and SergeantYates[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 11, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    SergeantYates

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 moss green TJ 4.0
    To clarify, my Jeep’s steering wheel would shake violently after turning just a slight corner or hitting a bump at 45 mph and would dissipate after slowing down to around 25. I had heard that usually with DW you would have to practically come to a stop to get the wobble to stop. That’s why I called mine “a light case.” But it was, in fact, death wobble and I fixed it as you would another Jeep with death wobble. I guess after hearing your case that maybe the steering damper was right for you.

Halfmoonclip likes this.
  8. Jun 11, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    Halfmoonclip

Halfmoonclip Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 TJ Rubicon
    Sarge, with mine, it took nearly a full stop, and hard on the brake pedal, to bring it under control. Fortunately, my daughter had the good sense to do the same thing.
    BTW, she loved that Jeep, and it was part of her persona in High School and College. She was, and still is, tiny and pretty, but she liked to say "I love my Jeep. You can run over (redacted)" ;)
    Moon

To Top