1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration/rumble after axle seal replacement

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by ytsejam4155, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Nov 10, 2023 at 2:54 PM
    ytsejam4155

ytsejam4155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    2020 Rubicon 37,000 miles

So, passenger front side axle seal replaced by dealership.

Drove down the road one mile and had a really bad rumble and vibration throughout the entire Jeep. turned around immediately. Went back to dealership. Dealership said they pulled everything apart to see what the problem was, said something about bad seal. Replaced it (?) and it was solved.

Been driving around town most of afternoon, long runs, above 60 mph and experienced a quick sensation of the vibration/rumble for about 2 or 3 seconds, but it was NOT the pavement on the road.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  2. Nov 10, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Can't picture a seal causing a bad rumble or vibration alone. Go back to the dealer to resolve it on their dime. Either something may have been damaged during the repair/reassembly or the low axle fluid caused issues before the repair

3. Nov 11, 2023 at 9:09 AM
    MTgeezer

MTgeezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    55 CJ 3B
    441 sbc/AGEM22W/"Super"D18/D44s-ARBs-Dutchman
    I have never had a seal failure in its self produce driveline vibrations in anything I have ever driven. Bearing failure due to bad seal, yes. 37k miles is really short for front axle seal failure and I would guess, if that is indeed the case, a carrier bearing or hub unit bearing is expediting the failure. Another that would have that right back at the dealer.

4. Nov 11, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    ytsejam4155

ytsejam4155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, it's back at the dealership as of 7am this morning. They won't look at it til Monday. Will see what happens.
    I'm having faith in them, that they remedy it.
    Just frustrating that I go in for a seal replacement, and come out with a bad vibration/rumble then leave again to experience an intermittent vibe/rumble.

To Top