1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to look for when buying a 2008+ Rubicon?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Mattphelps23, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    Mattphelps23

Mattphelps23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    looking to buy a 2008+ Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I'm looking for pros and cons, what to look out for etc.

phonedrn8 likes this.
  2. Aug 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site!

3. Aug 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum Matt.
    Hang tight....I'm sure some one give you some input soon. :)

4. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    AceMan

AceMan Active Member

Member:
    Georgia Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2010 wrangler unlimited
    Matt, before I purchased my Sahara I had a fellow tell me I should get a Rubicon- he had one. I liked the extreme ability of the Rubicon but did I really need it? Did I want to pay for it? If I'd planned to do a lot of serious rock crawling in extreme environments like holly cross city in Colorado near Minturn then maybe so. When I honestly considered how often I would be in extreme circumstances I really didn't need a Rubicon- maybe still wanted one but didn't want to pay the extra bucks. So, I'm happy with my Sahara here in the GA mountains, she will easily do anything I ask of her except get good gas mileage. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

5. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Well said Aceman. You really should consider the cost vs practicallightly. (Auto correct ). Will you ever use what the Rubi offers? Can you use the money you'll spend on those features on a newer jeep with less miles. And build it into your Jeep..
    Ace man makes a great point. But the decision is ultimately yours. Buy what you want.....and build it into yours.

6. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    Mattphelps23

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Thank you, ill have to look into all the differences between them.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Honestly Matt. There aren't many differences between say a JK Sport or a JK Rubi. The biggest difference is the lockers. Meaning, the front and rear axles come with locking diffs. And it does add a big dollar sign to the bottom line of the Jeep. And if you plan on doing any off roading. It is a nice option to have. But if you just plan on it being a DD. Its Money you can spend else where. A lift....tires and wheels....etc.

If anyone else can add to this to help out. Please chime in.

phonedrn8 likes this.
  8. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    Mattphelps23

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    okay, that helps out a lot thank you. not a lot of heavy off roading for now.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  9. Aug 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ok good. You just saved yourself a bunch of cash. Lockers are a great option. But if your not going to use them. You just saved yourself money for new more aggressive tires and wheels. Giving your rig an awesome stance. If that's your plan for it.

So you have a great canvas to work with. What's your vision for your jeep? Piece of advice. Make it yours. Your build....and have fun with it. Look around at other Jeeps. Get ideas. And build your rig in your vision what you like. That's the best advice I can give.

Hang tight. Theres a bunch of other awesome jeepers here that will help. Just my 2 cents dude.
    Welcome to the forum again dude. And just remember. Jeeps are not bought. They are built. And it doesn't happen over night. Enjoy the ride. :jeep:

10. Aug 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    To add, a Rubicon comes with Dana 44 front Axel, electric disconnect sway bar, different gearing, and a 4:1 transfer case and sliders. When I ordered my jeep, this was a discussion I had with my wife. Being as I would add lonckers, sliders gearing, etc., I veiewd this as options I was happy to pay for. However, I off road often, and in rocks, desert, and forest. See what the Rubicon offers, then decide if they are things you need. The Sport model is more capable off road than any other vehicle off the lot, so don't get sucked into thinking you need stuff you don't.

phonedrn8 and JKBob 25[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Aug 7, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agreed. As I said. Some one more with more info than I knew would add on. And Chris4x4. One of our best here... He has a Rubi. And could add more to this than I can. It may seem a little overwhelming. But when you look back. It's all good.

12. Aug 7, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    The Rubicon is the ultimate JK no doubt but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about those tempting DIY BOLT-ON G2 44 axles 4.88 ARB lockers that would slip right on while in the middle of a weekend 3.5 GC lift kit to play on them humongus hills and deep valleys. Manual disconnects and 37" Nittos..........Back to earth.....all Wrangers are capable vehicles and we can build them better....

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  13. Aug 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Bingo. I settled on the Rubi because I'm getting lazy, and figured "Hell.......I can pay a little more and have the stuff already on it...". As is, its opened up a world of capability that exceeds my talent. I figured I'd let my skill grow before going into larger tires, and mods. Ive only used 4 low range in extreme accents/descents, and used the lockers to get away from a stuck. I use the sway bar disconnect the most..........well....and the skid plates......:anonymous:

JKBob 25 and aggrex[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Aug 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    Mattphelps23

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    still looking into exact details, but I want to get a lift for it maybe 3-4 inches, not too high because my wife isn't so tall, but I want it on 33s or 35s. I want to get it wrapped in a darker charcoal gray, with cyan blue accents. I want the option to take it off road but I also want to have a jeep that i can take on a trip and not worry about having a rough ride. I hear all too often people hate driving their jeep because they can't go above 60-65 without having the death wobble. I'm also that semi survivalist kinda guy so I want to jerry cans on the back and like a shovel/axe mount on it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  15. Aug 8, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    One thing to keep an eye on regardless of what version of the Wrangler you get is your oil level. The 3.8 is notorious for burning oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top