1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which winch to buy

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Hyeflyer, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Just bought my first Jeep. A 2017 4 door Rubicon. What is the best winch to buy? One that is not an overkill but will be reliable. I know WARN seems to be the most expensive. Am I paying for the name or is it really that good? Waterproof seems like a necessary feature. Wireless remote? If it comes with it ok, but not necessary. Research says 1.5 times the Gross Vehicle Weight. A 4 door Rubicon is about 6000 lbs. So a 9000-9500 should be sufficient or go to 12000 for a safety margin? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks Jeepers.

phonedrn8 likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    Rc Jeep

Rc Jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    No you are not just paying for the name on a warn. Warn is American made and most other manufactures are Chinese made. The way I look at it is when you need a which you are stuck, so when I go to use the winch I want a top of the line something that won't fail and leave me stuck.
    Warn has several didn't models that are in the 9000lb range. Your bumper will someone dictate what winch setup you get i.e. Center mount or off center mount.
    As far as the remote goes, I see that as another item that can fail when needed. Maybe you forget to change your batteries or something. I don't fine that to be that great but that just an opinion.

Last thing, if you can save a little extra about $250, I would suggest a synthetic line instead of cable. Less risk of injury if it breaks and you will save like 50lbs.

JKBob 25, aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  3. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Thanks for the good advice Rc Jeep. Great to hear from people who have experience.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    I'm gonna agree. Warn is great quality, and being made in the USA, service for the unit will never be an issue. FourWheeler has rated them #1 in all of their winch tests.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    That's two of you agreeing on WARN. I'm leaning that way but needed some confirmation. Any ideas on how many pound capacity of the winch? Should I go to 12000 lbs which is twice the weight of a four door Rubicon? Thanks.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    I think the 9000# range would be good. I've always been told to go 50% more than vehicle weight, to the 9000# one would be fine. Keep a pulley and such in your recovery bag, so if you need the extra leverage, your covered.

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  7. Feb 12, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Evo mfg front coil overs Evo mfg rear coil overs Jks drag link flip Je reel 1310 front & rear driveshafts 37" Nitto trail grapplers 17x9 atx slabs Evo mfg quarter pounder w/stinger Evo mfg rear fascia w/ d ring mounts
    There are ways to effectively double the winch capacity using pulleys. Spend some time on YouTube and watch different recovery methods using a winch.

8. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Just a thought. You need to know what the pull rating is on each layer wrapped around the drum. Whatever you rating is on the winch i.e. 9000lb, 12000lb: is only the rating for the first layer wrapped around the drum. For each layer you reduce your pull rating by 15 to 25% depending on the brand and model of winch. For example, My winch is a 12000 pound winch with 100ft of cable and when fully wound up has 3 layers of cable wrapped around my drum on the winch. On the 3rd layer my winch is only rated for 6000lbs, but on the first layer it is rated at 12000lbs. For this reason I always by a 12000lb winch. Better to be stronger than weaker when you need it.

Also there pros and cons for both Cable and Rope. Both are dangerous when they break. I saw a rope snap and whip a man like it has a razor blade on the end of it slicing through skin and muscle both like he was made of butter. If you run a rope, make sure that the winch is designed to be used with a rope. Extra insulation and different materials are used in the drum to keep the heat down on the drum. Under load the drum of a winch can exceed 300*F and this is detrimental to winch ropes because the excessive heat makes them brittle. For an example of the differences go here https://superwinchcompanystore.com/collections/superwinch-talon . Superwinch is having a big sale on their winches, and still, with the same model winch, the rope version is 50% more costly than the Cable version.

9. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    I just pulled the trigger on a warn 9.5 cti with synthetic. Should arrive tomorrow!

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  10. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Thanks OFFGRID for the detail physics of a winch. I will put that piece of information in the mix of variables on buying a winch.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  11. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Just finished the install on a warn 9.5 cti-s sitting on an evo mfg 1/4 pounder w/ stinger.
    image.jpg

scs_vuth, JKBob 25, aggrex and 4 others like this.
  12. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    That looks pretty good.

13. Sep 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Dusting this one off.

Considering a winch. Really know nothing about them. And found this thread. Picked up a lot of great info. I have a much better idea which direction to go. A Warn with a synthetic line. Was looking at compact/stealth with a kinatic line. I'm looking at cost and weight. No plans on replacing the front bumper at this point. And there a few winch mounts for OEM bumpers. And I'm leaning that way.

There are a couple other bigger upgrades I'm looking to first. But an awesome thread.

Now I just need a place to go get stuck. Lol.

14. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    scs_vuth

scs_vuth Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vuth
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    I bought a Warn M8000 years ago for my previous regular cab Tacoma. It got me out of a few situation. No issue, great product, another vote from me. Now I have a Jeep JKU, might need to upgrade to something bigger.

15. Sep 13, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    The 9.5 should be enough

scs_vuth[QUOTED], JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  16. Sep 13, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Warn and Superwinch have the best names. Superwinch is having a good sale right now. I bought a Harbor Freight 12000lb winch a couple of years ago just to try it out. I've put it to good use in the mud pits. I have no complaints. I really like that it has a guide that wraps the cable evenly across the drum. I've never seen this guide on any other winch. Keeps,the cable from building up on one side and kinking your cable.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  17. Oct 4, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Offroad798

Offroad798 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    fenders, bumpers, winch, inner fenders, cb, headliner storage, oil pan armor
    Here is one more opinion. I went with warn winch again. Had them on my other jeeps and they never let me down. They have good ratings,( Ip68 rating), pull speed and construction . That's important to me here in Florida in the water and mud. This is my first synthetic rope and it works great. Winched myself out a few times and winched lots of other jeeps. Good product but it costs. You get what you pay for. This is something I was not going to comprise on. Lots of good winch company's out there, but warn has done right by me. Snatch blocks help with increase pulling power. Just check on the winch your getting if it will fit your bumper. Some mount on top some sit down in the bumper. So far so good with the wireless remote.

pic c.jpg

chris4x4 and JKBob 25 like this.
  18. Oct 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Still on the ledge if I pick one up. If I do. I'm not sticking with my stock cut down bumper. I'm going to go with a winch ready bumper. And, yeah......here's my OCD issues. Lol. I'm not sure I want to swap bumpers. I have another upgrade or two before I decide on a winch. Issue....where I live, NJ. I'd probably never use it. And I hate spending money on a tool I only use once....or never. Ya....its good to have it in your tool box. But not a $500 tool. That will never be used.

Man....seriously. I envy you guys out there in the west. Your back yard is your play ground. Mines a pear tree with crab grass issues. :yawn:.

19. Oct 5, 2017 at 7:16 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    I don't run a winch either, so don't feel like you need one. However, I DO NOT wheel alone.......often.....

OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  20. Oct 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Rc Jeep

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '16 Rubicon
    Winches are expensive... after 2 uses its paid for...ever have to call an off road recovery truck. Ridiculously expensive...

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
To Top