1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whistling mirrors .. 2017 Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by marly, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Nov 26, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    marly

marly [OP] New Member

Member:
    I love the off road capability of my new 2017 Trailhawk, but the whistling mirrors really take the shine away. The problem is that the mirrors are a two piece clamshell design and the seam between the two halves is rough and poorly fitting. Because the two halves are plastic, this edge varies with temperature as the plastic distorts. The result is that sometimes there is a piercing whistle as the wind blows by. Most of the time there is a constant lower level whistle. Both are very annoying and distractive. I currently have tape on the mirrors which stops most of the noise, but this is not a permanent fix. The dealer has been very understanding, has diaganosed the problem, replaced one mirror to no success, and finally applied tape over the seams. Chrysler wave finally contacted me yesterday after a long delay, and I am hoping they will come up with permanent corrective action. I am curious if anybody else, who has had similar problems, has come up with a fix.

2. Dec 21, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    tpreston

tpreston New Member

Member:
    I just purchased a 2017 Trailhawk and noticed a whistling sound at certain speeds. After checking the windows and doors I folded the mirrors in and the sound went away.
    I am going to try tape to see if I can identify the exact area causing the issue.
    I will go back to the dealer as a last resort but I know I can't live with this sound!
    Will keep you posted.

chris4x4 likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2016 at 3:52 PM
    marly

marly [OP] New Member

Member:
    I put tape along the vertical seam facing the vehicle. good luck.

4. Dec 21, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Can you post pictures of the fix?

5. Dec 22, 2016 at 8:12 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    A little rubber glue works wonders. It comes off if needed, is almost clear and stays better than tape. A clear silicone works too for all the same reasons. :)

OFFGRID likes this.
To Top