1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind noise at left A pillar

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by 16Sport, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    16Sport

16Sport [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4 door Wrangler, Hydro Blue Sport
    AEV lift, wheels and tires, running boards (wife is short)
    We love the Jeep except for a bad wind noise at the left A pillar. I know it's not a luxury vehicle but being brand new; I think it should be pretty well free of wind noise when the tops are on and the windows are up. It's been back to the dealer four times, they say "it's the mirrors causing the noise but no wind is actually coming in the vehicle." Anyone ever heard of this before??
    If I lived in an area where we could leave the tops off most of the year I wouldn't worry too much about it. But I live in Iowa where we have the tops on and windows up a good portion of the year.

2. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Hard top or soft. Any added accessories?

3. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Oh...and by the way: Welcome to the site!! :)

4. Sep 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! Mines always had a whistle sound that's starts around 30 mph. Mostly because of the lights. However, it does have a lot more wind noise than my car or trucks. Every jeep I have been in has more.

5. Sep 13, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    16Sport

16Sport [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hard top. No accessories yet. We'll running boards but it had the noise before that.. I test drove several before deciding on this one. None of the others had any noise.

6. Sep 13, 2016 at 4:48 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    I have not heard of it on these newer ones but a few years ago there was an issue with the seal around the lower a-pillar where the brackets are. Jeep even had a write up on it. They would go in and put in some sealant.

Here is a link to the old service bulletin. Maybe something happened and you have a simular issue.
    http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_23-019-07.pdf

7. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    16Sport

16Sport [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'll start with covering all the body openings with masking tape. If that cures the noise problem I'll let the dealer make the repair. I've never had to take a new car/truck back this many times for the same problem. I deal with a fleet of 550 GM light duty vehicles on a daily basis... FRUSTRATING...

Bob likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    sounds reasonable to me.

9. Oct 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    16Sport

16Sport [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Today a Sales and Service rep looked at the vehicle and hears the noise but says nothing can be done to correct it. Anyone else had similar problems?

10. Oct 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
  11. Jan 18, 2017 at 6:44 AM
    DaveSR

DaveSR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    My 2016 with the hard top has had wind noise since new. I don't think there is anything available to cure it.

12. Mar 28, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    o4petesake

o4petesake Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Stock '10 jk unlimited
    Fat mud tires
    It's a Jeep....wind noises,bounces around....just turn the music up a little,easy fix!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  13. Mar 28, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Jeeps are noisy, no doubt about that. JKs are, after all, convertibles. However, I don't know if your sound is normal or not. I would suggest taking some masking tape and taping some of the joints in the areas it sounds like the noises are coming from. Masking tape...not a stronger tape...don't want any damage. Some people experienced noises from the mirrors. Others from small gaps in the seals on top of the windshield. There were some that had air leaks in the seal at the bottom of the windshield. a bit of tape across that gap and drive it. Does the sound change? -- you get the idea.

14. May 10, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    After reading this. I quess I got lucky. I have a 16 JK with a Sunrider. And the only noise I hear is the guys with lifted F150s with crappy loud tires driving past me.

15. Jun 8, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    JK16Clif

JK16Clif New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Wrangler Sahara
    Just recently purchased my first jeep, 2016 JK and found this site due to the same issue with wind noise. I'll try the masking tape idea, but the windshield has crack dead center at the bottom, so I'll have also have the dealership take as look as well. I made sure they'll fix the windshield prior to purchase.

16. Jun 8, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! If you're going to use tape use the painters tape. Since you purchased your JK with crack make sure the repair doesn't have air or water leaks too. Jeeps are noiser than the average vehicle. Additional noises can come from add-on accessories too. Post some pics of that first jeep.

chris4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top