1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Won't go in gear.

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by Rocketmann, May 8, 2017.

1. May 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Rocketmann

Rocketmann [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    02 Jeep wrangler
    This jeep was shifting fine until a bad flood. Then I went to drive it and It won't go into gear. I saw others had this problem but I never saw an answer.

2. May 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    If the 5spd dries out you might get lucky while mud infiltration would be problematic.

3. May 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Rocketmann

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    02 Jeep wrangler
    So should I drain the tranny to see if it's clean fluid

4. May 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    My reply is based on a manual transmission and clutch. Mud would create big problems for clutch engagement. If you have an automatic trans maybe the dipstick could give you a clue before you open the trans pan which might not help much.

5. May 8, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Question, are you getting the tranny in gear and it is not rolling forward, or are you unable to get it in gear at all? Definitely drain the tranny and refill it. If you notice milky, or cloudy white liquid in it, this is water. If there is a lot of water you'll get sludge. If you get sludge you may have to repeat the oil change a few times. Anytime you spend a length of time in high water you should also change the differentials and transfer case fluids as well.

6. May 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    Rocketmann

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    02 Jeep wrangler
    It's a five speed. And it won't go in gear at all.

7. May 9, 2017 at 5:56 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    One more thing. Are you able to shift stick left and right. I'm sure you have tried all gears including reverse.

Sounds like your clutch is not engaging. I hate chalking things up to coincidence, but mud and water do seem to accentuate and speed existing problems up. I'm going to guess Master and/or slave cylinder, followed up with second guess of Clutch. When it is the clutch you can get it into gear but won't drive anywhere, but when the cylinders go out its a no go getting it in gear.

Oreilly's has the whole Clutch Master slave cylinder assembly for $171.99. I bet you can find it cheaper online.

aggrex likes this.
To Top