1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would a Dana 44 from a Cherokee, GM or Ford work in my CJ7?

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Kinger0813, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mar 3, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    Kinger0813

Kinger0813 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    1984 jeep cj7 6 cylinder
    N/a
    I wound up with this jeep cj7 I have replace the engine, transmission, and currently working on replacing the right rear axle I have put this together and after a while the bearing crumbles and as I am driving it comes apart and the tire, drumb, and axle goes flying. It is an Amc 20 rear end. It does not have inside clips it is just pressed into the housing. I was wondering if a Dana 44 from a Cherokee, early GM or ford would work

2. Mar 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome!

3. Mar 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Numbers. The 84 CJ-7 has a 56in wide axle. The 86 CJ-7 came with a Dana 44 in back. They are hard to find, but possible. The late 80s and newer Cherokee is 60in wide. Doable, but you will need 2 in spacers in the front, and the bolt pattern for the wheels is different I believe. You will also most likely need to move the perches in. GM is close to 70 inches wide and actually is a GM Core 10 or 12 bolt rear end that is mated to a Dana 44 in front You would need to outboard the front springs and move the perches in for the rear. You would need to swap both over. Same for the ford, but fords are usually driver drop so they really wouldn't work for you anyway.

I like the AMC 20. Do you have aftermarket 1 piece axles? Sounds like your bearings are slightly too big for your axles or something. They should not be walking off like that, but it is not the first time I've heard of this happening. I run the G2 1 piece axle kit in the back of mine and have had no problems. Comes with everything you need to install them and if you look for a deal will cost around $200 for the whole kit.

Superior used to be a really good axle, but they closed their doors. The machinists for Superior started their own company recently called Revolution Gear and axle or something like that, and I would wouldn't be afraid to use their products.

To Top