1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

YJ starving for fuel stalls, restarts after a min or so, HELP

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by scarecrowsfire, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Apr 12, 2017 at 5:05 AM
    scarecrowsfire

scarecrowsfire [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    1989 jeep wrangler 4.2
    Hei distributor, weber carb, 33"tires, smittybilt winch, xrc fenders
    I have a new to me 1989 yj, has the 4.2 I6, hei distributor, weber carb, new fuel pump, fuel filter,and all lines. My jeep will start to "chug" like it's starving for fuel then stall, after I wait a minute or two it will restart and drive for awhile and have the same symptoms agian, it's had this issue since I bought it, would really like to make it more reliable so I can hit the trails with a little more confidence, any help or input greatly appreciated

2. Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    How many miles. May or may not be fuel. Check all vacuum lines to make sure they are hooked up and no cracks are visible. If you have an inline fuel filter replace it. Replace your air filter. Check all of your plugs to make sure they are not fouled (heavy black soot or oil on them) double check your plug wires to make sure they are routed correctly and hooked up snug. What is the exhaust like? Do you still have a Catalytic converter? Is your exhaust pipe clear with no kinks.

3. Apr 12, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    scarecrowsfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    1989 jeep wrangler 4.2
    189k mi on the clock, most vacuum lines were eliminated but the few that remain are new, new fuel filter and pump, just did a hei conversion,plugs and wires are new,exhaust is fine,
    OK maybe I should clarify, jeep runs fine except occasionally chugs and stalls not constant. Today I let down the tank and clean a ton of crud out, thought maybe it was clogging the screen. Drove it five miles without symptoms, so maybe that was it, tomorrow longer road test is to me so time will tell.

4. Apr 12, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    That was why I mentioned the fuel filter. You might replace again if the same symptoms come back. My 79 sat up for 15 years by the PO and the first thing I did was replace the tank and filter.

5. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    scarecrowsfire

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    1989 jeep wrangler 4.2
    Right same here this one sat since 1997, so far so good no more chugging, put 50 miles on it today, ten of witch on a still half snow covered fire break trail, so happy to have it ready for spring mud season in upstate ny. Thanks for your input though, sometimes others point out something simple you overlook

To Top