1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ZJ Quadra-Trac CV Noise

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by Hip-Pea Fly Guy, May 2, 2023.

1. May 2, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    Hip-Pea Fly Guy

Hip-Pea Fly Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hippy
    Vehicle:
    Grand Cherokee ZJ
    I have a noise when making low speed left turns. Both axle assemblies were replaced last year but the power steering gear box failed, slowly and by December the cacophony of sound from the from end was indescribable. Replaced the steering gear and all the wear part in the front suspension, gave it nice alignment. Life was good for a time.

The noise it is making is different from the last time the axle assemblies failed but I suspect that's what I'm struggling with. The sound is best described as the sound of something in a bind unloading. Started out only occasionally and is getting more frequent but no worse in severity. My rig hasn't made this noise before and I wanted to run it by experts before I toss retirement dollars at it.

Is it possible the loose steering gear may have damaged an axle assembly? I don't suppose the left turn indicates anything about which axle assy does it?

2. Jun 12, 2023 at 12:56 PM
    Hip-Pea Fly Guy

Hip-Pea Fly Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hippy
    Vehicle:
    Grand Cherokee ZJ
    " When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ". Bad, new axle assembly.

To Top